PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Design: To price, or not to price?

mrleesimpson
16-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Good Evening All

I just want to try and gauge peoples views (graphic designers especially) on putting the price of your services on your website?

I, and about 2 douzen graphic and website designers I know, don't advertise the price of services on websites. I (and they) tend to wait until people contact me and then quote the job, and although I can't vouch for them, from the enquiries I get people don't have a clue what kind of price I'm going to charge until I tell them.

What about everyone else?
Whats your views on advertising prices or not?
From the non graphic designers would this put you off as a customer?

Go forth and debate!

TheseWordsAreMyOwN
16-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Good evening, what a long day!

Personally I would be put off if the prices were displayed on a website. I would like to think that all projects are treated individually, but a price on a website kind of implies 'one price suits all'.

However, I think an exception can be made for logo designs since the process is pretty much the same for all cases.

Sunee
17-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I prefer to see portfolios with the approximate price paid, listed next to a few designs to help me gauge if I can afford that particular designer.

TheJoshM
17-07-2007, 12:11 AM
However, I think an exception can be made for logo designs since the process is pretty much the same for all cases.

...hmm, would like to hear what Eagle has to say about that.

peekaboo
17-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by TheseWordsAreMyOwN
I can see perhaps how you got that impression, but it really isn't the same each time, well it isn't for us, there are so many elements involved!!

With regards to pricing i think it crazy to put prices on websites, each project will be different, no doubt about it, think about it - same price/same end product and from my point of view any designer that does have prices on there websites then I won't be surprised if all there websites etc look similer which is going against what a designer stands for if you ask me.

Disclaimer:
This is just my opinion, im not saying im right! ;)

Regards
Brett White

Eagle
17-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Personally I would be put off if the prices were displayed on a website. I would like to think that all projects are treated individually, but a price on a website kind of implies [i]'one price suits all'.

However, I think an exception can be made for logo designs since the process is pretty much the same for all cases. You really have to be careful if you come across a graphic designer who displays 'one size fits all' package pricing. It's a major indicator of a rank amateur. There are rare exceptions but you usually find this kind of pricing structure on the so-called 'cookie-cutter' sites who simply throw half a dozen (mass-produced in India) logos at you in the hope that you'll just accept one of them.

Regarding the process of logo design, lets imagine a typical case; a designer decides to put a set price for logo design on his site of £XXX. For most geometric designs, this price may cover a typical project...

Geometric:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/pbr/anaratoys.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/pbr/nochexlogo.jpg

However, what if a client comes along and wants a complex illustration for their logo (or the project dictates it anyway)? Illustrative projects, or ones involving character design, can be massively time-consuming in both the drafting and revision stages and often take many weeks to design and perfect. If the designer has only charged £XXX (instead of £XXXX), they're going to be seriously out of pocket. And as their interest in the project wanes as time drags on, so quality suffers...

Illustrative:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/pbr/eastbourne-eagles.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y102/pbr/wwhlogo.jpg

An experienced designer will take the client's design brief (for any project; logo, advert business card etc) and tailor the quote around the project. I have clients ranging from business start-ups who simply can't afford my services to millionaires who could easily spend £50,000 on a logo. Regardless of who they are, I price as per the brief - not as per their wallet. In fact, I never ask clients how much they have to spend - as it's not a factor in my quote process.

Just my 2¢...

tarakate108
17-07-2007, 08:27 AM
If you call around and get a few quotes you'll get an idea of what you can expect it to cost anyway. I had no idea initially but after speaking to a few people I started to realise what I was looking at, and to be honest they were mostly quite similar. I think I might be put off by someone putting their prices on their site as it puts an idea in your head that then may not be relevant to your project; ie it could cost a lot more! Besides which it's also important to choose based on their previous work, and whether you think it reflects the ideas you have for your business, not just the price.

mrleesimpson
17-07-2007, 10:09 AM
some awesome points there.

VLAHAKISA
17-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I've always had prices on my site, they act as a 'pre-qualifier' for sales.

Having prices on your site, at least even 'indication prices' aid in reducing time wasted quoting customers who are price led with their decisions.

I hope this helps you understand why some businesses list prices on their websites - essentially it's called pre-qualifying your sales leads and saves time and hence can increase profits.

Best Wishes

Amanda

VLAHAKISA
17-07-2007, 12:19 PM
More information on pre-qualifying sales:

http://www.eyesonsales.com/archives/article/qualifying_your_sales_opportunities

In this article the bit that I am pre-qualifying with my online prices before I invest lots of time a prospect (a sales term for a 'potential' client) is this;

- Can they afford the solution we will propose?

This is just one area to pre-qualify when presented with a potential customer, there are others to consider, the article is pretty good.

Amanda

amy_517
17-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks Amanda, that's a good link.

I think I'm going to put a 'prices start from...' on my promotional stuff, because a lot of my potential clients tend to assume that comissioning animation will be too expensive before looking into it properly, and they need to get the message as soon as possible that it is affordable for them.

Edit: Not graphic design, but a bit similar in some ways.

conneldinho
17-07-2007, 09:28 PM
my opinion as an outsider is on the fence. I think it can be quite daunting to get a great pitch from someone, for them to quote a price that scares the pants off you.
but my experience and understanding of what you guys do, allows me to understand that there is no such thing as a generic case.

I don't have prices on my website for what I do. I think it's a good way to get a verbal lead from the customer. I think it is important though to give them an idea of price