View Full Version : search engine optimization
22-08-2003, 09:09 AM
how do i go about optimizing my website to appear higher up search engines? the website has been designed by an agency but i don't want to pay them to do it if i can do it myself!!
22-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Have a look at google.com and their adwords.
22-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Results will not happen overnight - it can take anything from two weeks to seven months.
If you want me to take a look at your site i can give you some 'elp.
22-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Unfortuntately there is a lot more to it than just submitting to get good rankings -
- Firstly decide what search words people will be keying in to find you. A free trial at www.wordtracker.com will provide you with this information.
- You need to build a good number (as many as poss) of incoming links to your site, create a links page for your site and build reciprocal links with other companies in the same line of business - your links page does not need to be easy to find. The best links are from similar companies who have a good ranking themselves, and whos link will feature any of your keywords.
- Build good quality content on your website, the content should be useful and keyword rich without being excessively repetititve - some search engines view excessive keyword littering as spam and actually can count this against you and perhaps even ban you from their search engine. Others things that can cause you to be banned are to litter keywords on your site and then hide them so that they are not visible. Frequently update and add to your content.
- Ensure that even if your site is flash based, or entirely image based, that there are plenty of textual links to navigate the entire site with, this will make it easier for the indexing robots (from the search engines) to find your pages and your keyword rich content.
- Create alt tags on images to name them, if relevant use keywords in the image names.
- Make sure the right keywords are used on your meta tags, page descriptions and page titles, do not use a string of keywords for your page titles or descriptions, some search engines don't like this and view it as spam/cheating. Each page should have titles, descriptions, and keywords relevant to the information on the page.
- Use keywords in your page headers.
- Continue to learn about optimisation, there are plenty of sites providing free advice and tools.
If you need further assistance don't hesitate to ask :-)
Excuse the bad typos, haven't time to check it!
25-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Have a look at www.webmasterworld.com
26-08-2003, 05:23 PM
We've put together a page on website optimisation on our site and all the free submission links:
Particularly important is HOW NOT TO SUBMIT / OPTIMSE your site.
There seems to be a lot on Shell about website optimisation which is of course very important.
Does Shell produce a guide on this?
If not would it be easy amongst ourselves to put together a few pages on this and other reoccuring queries?
I can remember over the months that similar queries repeat although I never remember the answers!
Happy to help if a few others are as well.
vBulletin® v3.8.1, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.