PDA

View Full Version : Self Storage

MaverickJGR
29-04-2007, 01:44 PM
I am planning on starting a self storage business in kent this summer. I was wondering if any of you use self storage either domestically or commecially. Are there any particular things you like / dislike about the people you use at the moment.

If you dont use self storage but are considering it why havent you yet.

I am planning on leasing premises and believe that I can provide facilities that look much more attractive than those currently available although I dont know how much this will be appreciated, as I can do alot of the work myself as I have alot of experience building. I plan to target local businesses and also people who are advertising their house for sale in the local papers. I am also considering targeting local estate agents and getting them to recommend that clients 'declutter' their homes for a quicker sale.

All comments welcome

Eagle
29-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I need self-storage but the prices are so prohibitive.

MaverickJGR
29-04-2007, 07:27 PM
How much space do you need? What are you doing with the stock/belongings at the moment?

Tends to be around
20-25 for 50sq ft
30-40 for 100sq ft
80 for 300sq ft Per Week

Eagle
29-04-2007, 07:44 PM
I have a spare room full of boxes. Quotes I've seen from the likes of Big Yellow put me off!

MaverickJGR
29-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Big Yellow tend to be 25% under competitors for first 4 weeks and then 50% over after that, from the locations I have looked at.

babyben
29-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Being a freelancer, I'd be looking for 'micro-storage' basically somewhere to have off-site DVD back ups and such like!

bb99
29-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I had a storage unit for nearly 4 years - only managed to "move out" of it a couple of weeks ago.

I used a local company who, at the time, were the cheapest. I did a further ring round about half way in and they were still the cheapest so I stayed. I tried to get Big Yellow to match their price when they opened up in Leeds but they wouldn't on the basis that the two "weren't comparable" - which was rubbish because mine was actually better than Big Yellow!

The key things that I valued are/were:

- being able to drive my car right up to the storage unit door (it was a shipping container)

- being able to borrow a trolley when I needed to

What I would have liked, but didn't get was:

- being open on Sundays and in the evenings

- a massive reduction in price for being there for four years

- my deposit back (but I'm still working on that :) )

MaverickJGR
30-04-2007, 07:13 AM
How small do you mean by 'micro' more like a large locker or about 25sq ft?

I was thinking that sundays and evenings would be popular but that would mean that the price would rise, unless I didnt open the facility until the afternoon which I had been considering. Would you rather pay the extra, or not be able to access in the morning?

bb99
30-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by MaverickJGR
I was thinking that sundays and evenings would be popular but that would mean that the price would rise, unless I didnt open the facility until the afternoon which I had been considering. Would you rather pay the extra, or not be able to access in the morning? [/B]

Personally I wouldn't want to pay for Sunday/Evening opening.

Everyone's needs will be different - businesses will want to access during working days, home users may want to come on Sunday afternoons... but everyone will have their own needs and/or emergencies.

I'd see it as a USP that you were open "more" than other places but, as above, I wouldn't want to pay for it unless I was otherwise unable to come during normal hours.