PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Energy Assessor?

snatton
23-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Hello, I wonder if anyone thinks its a good opportunity to become a self employed Domestic Engery Assessor? These are basically people who carry out energy efficiency reports on houses which go on the market (mandatory from July 2007). Obviously i would have to train to receive my recognised certificate at a cost of around £4,000....... is it worth it???

Thanks for your help.

p.s I'm really sick of my current job!!!

bizzyboddy
23-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Mmm,
I'm not sure... what made you decide to do that??
It sounds interesting, but I guess the only way you'll really know is to do some thorough research.

gregfindley.com
23-04-2007, 07:03 PM
This site may help you out;
http://www.homeinspectors.co.uk/hi-training-dea.html

Greg

moneyman
24-04-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/04/22/dl2203.xml

quick article on DEAs. Basically a parasitic new job. The actual paper article goes on to say how it is money for old rope and you need very little to be qualified and it is all a big con. see if you can get the full article.

James Smith
24-04-2007, 01:32 PM
The real danger with this "profession" is that it is essentially useless - you are not getting any real skills that are saleable on the open market and paying a huge amount in training to point out the real basic such as old house with sash windows (shock horror) cost more to heat that new ones with proper insulation. It is only there due to legislation and not need. Therefore if the law is changed (which it might be!) or just plain ignored then you are out of a job.

I have just moved house, and i know I wouldnít have been to chuffed to pay for a HIP given it has cost me a fortune to move already. I last moved 5 or 6 years ago and the increase in the amount of **** you have to do is unbelievable without this on top. Might well get some civil disobedience on this if the larger estate agents have the balls to simply say no. The fines are relatively small compared to their commissions and I wonder how many extra instructions agents would get simply by ignoring the law, I think if I was chosing an agent and one said I didnt need to do the pack then I would chose them over the competition......the buyer doesnt really care as no sensible buyer will rely on what is in the pack anyway.

This late on I would give it six months and see what happens.

snatton
26-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the advice, i think i will hang fire until after it settles down a bit, like james says.

thanks

hypertone
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
i think it's a great opportunity to become a DEA.

a good company called vibrant energy are now hiring freelance staff now

here is the email address for anyone who wants to apply!

fc@vibrantenergyuk.com

SthglosHI
06-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Here's the jist...I am about to qualify as an H.I. which includes domestic energy assessment.

There is a currently a "Texas scramble" underway with several thousand candidates up and down the country feverishly training, and hoping to qualify in time for the 'Go Live Date' of 1st June 2007.

First of all!

Excercise great caution over whom you give your hard earned dosh to!. The market is awash with so called 'Training Companies' eagerly waiting to snap your hand off for the cash only to deliver very poor quality training that will see you burning midnight oil trying to get your head round the whole thing. Contrary to recent Press reporting, we are not a bunch of deadbeats, checkout operators, sales assistants, low IQ's and criminals looking for a lucky break, most of us are degree qualified or equiv in other fields looking for new opportunities.

We have the Press, Tories, House of Lords, Surveying establishment, sceptics, estate agents and other fearful types doing there level best to snuff out what is an excellent initiative and one which will bring the whole house selling process into one of control and transparency. After all if you were buying something with an average buying price in the region of £200,000 would you not want to know what condition it was REALLY in (home condition report)...I know I would!

There is an excellent forum for anyone seriously considering this as a new career (www.homeinspectorforum.co.uk)

This forum is bursting with guys from all ages and backgrounds either training to be DEA's (Domestic Energy Assesors), or HI's (Home Inpsectors)

Some training companies are listed to enable career development loans to be taken against the courses.

I am here to help anyone further in anyway that I can, 25 years in business and doing this!...if you really want to know about either Domestic Energy Assessor, or Home Inspector careers fire your questions at me!!!

Regards
Nick
Sthglos Home Inspections

SthglosHI
06-05-2007, 12:53 AM
I disagree with James as this being "useless", it could be an excellent starting point for anyone seriously interested in moving on to become a Surveyor.

Possible Route:

Domestic Energy Assessor
Home Inspector
Valuations Surveyor
TechRics
Surveyor

I wish the whole course was as simple as James suggests, stating the amazing obvious points like old windows, that could have saved me 12 months of sleepless nights trying to qualify...In know of three Building Surveyors who have bailed out of training due to it being "too difficult"

James might change his view if he were to invite one of to his home to carry out a free HCR?

Oh!... and don't kid yourselves into believing that the "Survey" you pay for through your Lender is anything more than just a simple check to make sure they get their money back if they have to reposess it!

Energy bod
08-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I've just about finished training for this new career as an Energy Assessor. (DEA)

It sounded great and it would be except for one thing - after an initial scare that there wouldn't be enough people doing it, there are now toooo many!

They reckoned they'd need 3,000 - 4,500 Home Inspectors who need to spend twice as long on a job as a DEA.

I get the CLG's newsletter. Last month they had 3,000 DEAs passed training/in training. this month, they've got 3,500 trainees. There are 1.6 million homes sold on the market each year. Do the math. 1,600,000 / 3000 = 666 jobs each per year (the number of the beast). Divide that by 48 working weeks per year. That's just 11 jobs per week each! If there's 3500 DEAs, then that's just 9-and-a-half jobs per week each.

The training companies are in a feeding frenzy. they don't care about the eventual state of the industry and employment prospects for those that pass out. They make their money in training. They're coining it in!

This is going to be like plumbing all over again. The bottom was kicked out of that by over supply in the labour market. There is no sign of a slow down in the number of people coming in to this - 500 per month - and there won't be til a few bad news stories get out.

My prediction is that there will be several good months for DEAs i.e. this Summer til the Winter slow down in the housing market combines with hundreds and hundreds of new DEAs passing out ready for business in the Autumn/Winter when all of a sudden everything will hit the buffers

Best of luck in another business!

James Smith
08-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Hmm thatís interesting to note there may be too many people not too few!

I was thinking about how this might go, and IF it remains in place, it will probably wind up being a "least cost is best" service, i.e. the householder paying for it will just want it done on the cheap - they wont want anyone diligent coming round finding problems, and if they do, they will simply get the report done again until the problems are *cough* ignored *did you just drop those £20 notes?* etc.

Which is PRECISLY why these things are going to be worthless, as no buyer with half a brain is going to trust them, and why its guff to suggest they have any really value.

Regards,

InnoCreate
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
James, you forget this also applies to the rental market and all commercial and government property's.
I think it will attract people to rent a certain property over another.
I was having this discussion the other day with a guy who works for a load of rental agency's issuing their corgi and electrical certificates for their properties. He was thinking of doing the course and offering it as a side line business and asked a few of the agents if they were interested. They all wanted him to do it for them and he won't be the cheapest person around. Their corgi inpsections cost more than some other companies etc.
I think with the rental market people will need to be careful going into this. Rentals will have until mid 2008 to be certified so there will be a 1 year rush and then a down turn in business. If your servicing house sales etc as well then i think you could make a career out of it.

As for the home information pack it is actually a good idea. Part of the pack will be the survey. This will help speed up chains and if a chain breaks it will stop people loosing money on wasted surveys etc.

James Smith
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
James - the requirement for a survey has been dropped.

Itís basically unworkable unless you are particularly gullible and believe what you are told by the seller.

sonrisa
14-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi there,

I read your reponse below & hope you don;t mind me contacting you. I'm looking to train as a DEA and I suppose I just wanted to know if you truley think this is going to be a good career move and investment? Have you found that there are too many people trying to retrain? I really want to do this but the training costs make it a big risk. With this in mind have you heard of any where offering sponsorship?

Thanks in advance, Sonrisa

Originally posted by SthglosHI
Here's the jist...I am about to qualify as an H.I. which includes domestic energy assessment.

There is a currently a "Texas scramble" underway with several thousand candidates up and down the country feverishly training, and hoping to qualify in time for the 'Go Live Date' of 1st June 2007.

First of all!

Excercise great caution over whom you give your hard earned dosh to!. The market is awash with so called 'Training Companies' eagerly waiting to snap your hand off for the cash only to deliver very poor quality training that will see you burning midnight oil trying to get your head round the whole thing. Contrary to recent Press reporting, we are not a bunch of deadbeats, checkout operators, sales assistants, low IQ's and criminals looking for a lucky break, most of us are degree qualified or equiv in other fields looking for new opportunities.

We have the Press, Tories, House of Lords, Surveying establishment, sceptics, estate agents and other fearful types doing there level best to snuff out what is an excellent initiative and one which will bring the whole house selling process into one of control and transparency. After all if you were buying something with an average buying price in the region of £200,000 would you not want to know what condition it was REALLY in (home condition report)...I know I would!

There is an excellent forum for anyone seriously considering this as a new career (www.homeinspectorforum.co.uk)

This forum is bursting with guys from all ages and backgrounds either training to be DEA's (Domestic Energy Assesors), or HI's (Home Inpsectors)

Some training companies are listed to enable career development loans to be taken against the courses.

I am here to help anyone further in anyway that I can, 25 years in business and doing this!...if you really want to know about either Domestic Energy Assessor, or Home Inspector careers fire your questions at me!!!

Regards
Nick
Sthglos Home Inspections

pgb2022c
14-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Sonirsa

I am currently being sponsored by Vibrant Energy, they pay for the training and employe you at the same time. My exams next week so V nervious.

You can email me on c.brooker46(AT)btinternet.com if you want any details.
Just put the symb @ instead of (AT), sorry dont want to make it look like nobody knows but adding (AT) stops any unwanted emails.

Thanks

Clive

moneyman
15-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Our beloved new leader the current chancellor has commented that he thinks most of this is a waste of money so it will all get dropped.

someone should also point out that the same could be said for 50% of his spending.

planetm
15-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Nick,

I am a single mum looking to retrain as a DEA and am wondering with all of the conflicting information if this is a safe route to go? I cannot afford the time or money to waste and do not want to do the training and then in the end be without a job.

A gentleman form assettskills sent me this reply when I asked the question: "Energy assessments are required in the HIP by the Regulations, but will in any event become mandatory across the whole of the UK by 04/01/09 under the EU Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. Energy assessments could therefore be delayed in introduction, but cannot be cancelled by the UK Government."

So which way do I go? Are there already too many people training for this career and will I be able to fidn work if I invest my time and money and most important of all, will DEA's be required from 1 June?

Any help or advice would be welcomed.

Regards,

Chelle

James Smith
15-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Chelle,

I would wait and see what happens before spending your money on this.

There is no mad rush - in the event the law sticks unchanged (and is actually enforced) then you can train in 12-18 months once the dust has settled. No doubt these overpriced training courses will become a bit cheaper too once all these training companies have got over the gold rush and things have settled down a bit and the supply of new people to train dies down.

More generally on the EU regulations - I would check very carefully to see what is actually compulsory (and donít ask the training companies who are trying to take your cash, look up the actual texts). Often very little is mandatory, and if there is no political will to enforce nothing much will happen. Itís not as if there is an existing demand for these things, the only demand is regulatory driven. I personally can see a big swing towards deregulation after the Blair years as a reaction against this type of red tape.

Regards,

SthglosHI
17-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Chelle:

Sorry for not replying sooner...I've been busy with more studying and exams!

James I note you are a Senior Member of this forum, and I really don't wish to upset you, but please research the subject a wee bit more prior to giving advice.

The European Directive EU 2002/91/EC is exactly what is says on the tin (a Directive), now then it was signed by godd ole John Prescott as a direc result of the Kyoto agreement. In essence it requires all member states to comply with the EPBD (Energy Performance in Buildings Directive) in that all consturcted buildings be they residential, commercial or industrial MUST have an energy performance certificate by Jan 2009 without fail, what has been muted is the fact that elements of this should have been in place in Jan 2006, fines are therefore being paid to the EU as a result of non compliance...So unless the next Governement decide to pull us out of the EU we have no choice bu to comply.

Chelle:

First of all as I have stated before please tread very carefully, there are numerous training providers eager to take your cash and deliver some "distance learning pack" of a poor quality which will not help you gain accreditation in the slightest.

The price you could pay is anything from £2,500 right up to a staggering £12,800. That said it might be possible to get funding through the Princes Trust, The European Fund or sponsorship previously mentioned above there are two such companies offering this, one has already been mentioned and the other is Habitus.

The House of Commons vote on Wednesday came out in favour of HIPS with a majority of 72 votes, no matter what may now be said about the "wingers" such as RICS who are pushing for a Judicial Review, HIPS will happen!

The problem all Energy Assessors will face is at some point the home condition report will become madatory rendering all DEA's out of a job unless a conversion course is avaliable to qualify as an HI (currently none available). For the time being EPC's are mandatory from June 1st, my advice to you and anyone contemplating this career is get sponsored and let an Employer take the pain of having to upgrade you in the future.

There are not too many undergoing training at present, in any case if you get taken on by either VIBRANT, or HABITUS this is not a concern for you.

I wouls seriously recommend you and everyone else interested in this new emerging industry register with www.homeinspectorforums.co.uk, there are over 1,000 members all busy swapping experiences and ideas...try it!

The cost of training hit an all time low in November last year when mounting pressure to scrap the HIPS looked like it could succeed, since then the costs have rocketed, now that the 1st of June is in the bag, these costs will increase still further as "profiteering" takes a hold.

As I have said before I will try to help anyone avoid the mistakes and pitfalls out there that I and many colleagues have tripped over on the way to a Home Inspector Licence. Drop me an email on nick@hcr-epc.co.uk.

Kind regards
Nick

SthglosHI
17-05-2007, 09:24 PM
OH!...sorry for the typo's (been up till 3:00am most mornings this week studying)...if you think this lot is easy try again :-)

rdjonesshell
21-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi Sthhlos HI, I am currently a UKAS Electrical Inspector for Explosive Area's and I am interested in reviewing the trainng requirements to become a DEA ??? I work overseas a graet deal and would like a more UK based job. Could you advise suitable trainers & do you have a contact email or webiste ??? Thanks in advance RDJ

Originally posted by SthglosHI

First of all!

Regards
Nick
Sthglos Home Inspections

planetm
21-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone,

Thankk you for kindly answering my queries as posted before.

I am looking at training with Habitus and have been told there are still DEA's required within my area. My worry is that it was mentioned that DEA's may not be required once Home condition reports come into effect and to therefore train as a Home Inspector as well. If I decide to go on to further my training to become a Home Inspector will I have a more stable profession and qualfiication whichI will be able to use for the long term? I was told by Habitus that further regarding training for Home Inspectors: "Depends on need for Home inspectors and take up from the public of the Home Condition Report " and that "They would be offered work on a consultancy basis not employed position ."

I have never been involved in this sector before but am hard working and have run my own businesses for the last 13 years. I am looking for a more secure profession to provide for me and my 5 year old son and will jump in with both feet if I know that I will have a good career and future.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chelle

James Smith
22-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Looks like your decision is made Chelle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6680131.stm

Ms Kelly has put it on ice. Wouldnít be surprised if the whole thing is quietly shelved on a bad news day, and if not, heavily watered down and perhaps just included in the normal building survey as an annexe so only one report per property is required if the rest of the pack gets the bullet.

Also the EU legislation is here if you want to read what it actually says as opposed to what the training companies would like it to say:

http://www.managenergy.net/products/R210.htm

I dont see why a normal surveyor couldnt provide the cert, just has to be a proffesional and independant person to meet the regulations. It doesnt say how long it has to be or in what format!

Regards,

thenextstep
23-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Ive have just qualified as a DEA from a company called NHER based in milton keynes.It took me about 5 months from start to finish and only just receiving through my certification this week I was bitterly dissapointed to find out about the delay.I am confident that this is a lucrative and sustainable career and the objecting parties are only dissaproving because it stops the charging clients over and over again for the same searches .who's getting the rough deal there? the buyer who isnt out of pocket or the seller who pays for there property but in most cases will then move to be a buyer again.Its roundabouts where by the consumer is the winner in my eyes and about time.Just as a little head up for those in training I was on ebay and managed to find a product where it sets up your systems for doing reports and offers valuble information it was about £70 but worth it.I have been through the whole process from start to finish so please feel free to contact me with any questions.

AndrewG
25-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by thenextstep
Ive have just qualified as a DEA from a company called NHER based in milton keynes.
I'm just thinking about who to get DEA training from and NHER look to be the most thorough (though also the most expensive). I would be interested to know what you feel about them, or indeed what any other DEA thinks about their training provider.

If you prefer to do this privately, my email address is below - replace (at) with @, etc.

Andrew
angib (at) blueyonder (dot) co (dot) uk

Apiall
29-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Did you decide to continue with the DEA training? I was about to book a course with NHER, but due to the uncertainty of the situation , am now not so sure.

The message is on one hand, that there are insufficient trained DEAs, and on the other that there will now be only limited opportunities for their services only having to assess 4 bedroomed properties and larger.

What will swing the decision is what is decided once the consultation process is completed in circa 6 weeks time between interested parties in the industry.

In the meantime I see lots of people in the surveying/estate agency industry training existing employees to do the work, effectively keeping it a closed shop to new entrants for when and if the assessment work gets started.

I might well be completely wrong, so please feel free to comment.

AndrewG
29-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Yup, I've gone ahead (with NHER) but with a logic that is probably different from most prospective DEAs. I can't see that EPCs will remain at the price they are now and I think I can get by on a reduced price. So who will be in the market to do EPCs (energy performance certificates) a year from now - who knows? There's a guy around me that has 'Domestic Energy Assessor' and his phone number signwritten across the back window of his Porsche, so maybe not him, eh?

Andrew

Apiall
30-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Andrew,

I think that the danger is that the advertising for the courses seemed to suggest that you could make £50k-80k a year just like that. Now that the attraction of lots of lucrative work has gone for sure in the short term, a lot of get rich wannabes will move onto something new.

Thats why the profile for new entrants will change. I sent of my application to NHER for the course starting June 20th (Crocus), and there were still places left. I don't need to be a DEA for any financial reason, but consider it more of a lifestyle choice that might or might not happen.

If it all goes pear-shaped, well never mind! That's how I think you should look at it. Just make sure you have another string to your bow.

If any work comes my way in August then I'll not turn it down, and as the scheme is phased in I'll let the work grow. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

AndrewG
30-05-2007, 10:07 PM
I sent of my application to NHER for the course starting June 20th (Crocus), and there were still places left.
Well, I'll see you there, as I'm on Crocus too! Do email me - address given above.

Andrew

englishnes
03-06-2007, 06:59 AM
I am part way through the DEA diploma, and have my exam in June 2007.

I'm still very unsure of what kind of salary I am to expecting, but am taking the gamble and have paid £2,100 so far for the course. There will be another £1,000 to pay if I decide not to work with the company that is training me.

Online it seems that the salary could be anything from £20k to £40k, but at the moment the law isnt in yet, and the only properties that will need to be assesses are 4bed and above. This may reduce the amount of income available???

If anyone wants to chat about ths subject I am available..

johnnyN
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
question about HIP & dea's & surveyors

I am contemplating becoming a DEA and
I was thinking of doing the NHER course also.

but I wanted to really know the game before I commit and would like some input from others.

as I understand it, you need a HIP report and 3 main things included in the HIP report are
1. contents (can be put in by owner or estate agent)
2. survey (or searches? not sure if these are different)
3. EPC

If a surveyor does step #2 , then it seems reasonable that this same surveryor will also do the EPC.
Please set me straight if I am incorrect.

the NHER company touts a sponsor called SAVA which is like a middleman for HIP reports(I think) , and will hire DEA's if they are in a location that suits them.
In my experience (2 years as a registered real estate appraiser in USA) similar companies in the USA offer lower than industry rates and require you to jump thru hoops for them while having restricting rules to comply with.
Does anyone have any experience with SAVA ?

Are there any other immediate sources of work available like SAVA ? (other than yourself doing all the marketing)

Just a word about prices. In the USA the normal cost for a real estate appraisal was $275 it stayed that way for years, and was really not low balled by newer companies because it reflects the amount of work required (about 4-6 hours), and the qualifications attained.
What do people think the going rate for EPC reports will be, and does it reflect the amount of work and the qualification?

there are lots of questions here but before I shell out to NHER I would like to have some answers

thanks to all

AndrewG
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
johnnyN,

Since last year, the HCR - Home Condition Report - that was introduced as a standardised survey for housebuyers has not been a compulsory part of the HIP and at present it looks like lots of people will be marketing their properties without a HCR in the pack. That leaves the compulsory HIP contents as:
- EPC, Energy Performance Certificate, which must done by a certified DEA (who may also be a Home Inspector, able to do HCRs or a surveyor, able to do traditional surveys);
- searches, which collect all officially-recorded information about the property;
- lease info for leasehold properties.
See http://www.homeinformationpacks.gov.uk for more.

The HIP must be prepared by/for the seller and be available at the point when the property is put on the market, so a surveyor who normally acts for a buyer would not be involved at that time - which may be why RICS (chartered surveyors body) opposes the HIP/EPC as it stands!

The relationship between DEA-ordering companies and individual DEAs seems to be just as you have described in the US. I have seen reported that SAVA are offering EPC jobs at £60 per time, whereas DEAs are charging £100-140 for individual EPCs to clients like solicitors or estate agents - though of course the latter would include marketing costs.

If you want to research EPCs and DEAs, I suggest you visit: http://www.homeinspectorforum.co.uk/ which is now about DEAs, as well as Home Inspectors.

Andrew

tpeachy
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm currently in the services and I'm considering a new career as a DEA. If I start the process of leaving my current job now it will be a year until I can start work within a new career due to the notice I have to give. Do you think it's a worthwhile risk to take, not knowing whether this profession will be required so much in a years time?

AndrewG
06-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by tpeachy
I'm currently in the services and I'm considering a new career as a DEA.
I think I would have to first give two caveats - I'm only a trainee, not yet practising (so what do I know?) and this 'profession' (let's say occupation - less pretentious) doesn't yet exist in anger, so what does anyone know?

Most qualified DEAs suggest waiting to see what happens as there's likely to be some significant changes in the first 6-12 months of DEAs operating - whether that will be up or down, I don't think anyone knows, whatever they say.

One thing is fairly certain - if you've seen the exotic estimates of income to be made as a DEA, of the "you can do 4 a day at £100 each" kind, forget them - it might be theoretically possible, but actually getting that much work with sufficiently little travelling time would seem to be over-optimistic.

Sorry not to be more definitive, but I can't.

Andrew

kindred76
15-07-2007, 11:36 PM
would like to get some insight into what is required for the course as a domestic energy assesor.. I have not done a course in years but only have little knoledge about buildings. as a new entrant the course providers said, i wil have to learn the industry from scratch. I am still under the impression that they only want all the places to be filled. the course provider is associated with rics so thats a good thing i guess.
it would be nice to know who has acctually completed the course and who has a completed portfolio of there research!
look forward to read from you.

ken davis
18-07-2007, 11:51 AM
am just awaiting final accreditation as a dea, i guess only time will tell if its worth it but it is certainly not something i would want to do every day nor would i pay £4000 for the training, it cost me £1500.
have a look at my various comments on www.greenbuildingforum/newforum on this topic.

DEA-Recruiter
23-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi All
I'm looking for qualified and accredited Domestic Energy Assessors to start August 1st in South West London.

There are 2 different areas in the south west of london that require qualified and motivated individuals.

We will endeavour to give each individual between 870-900 EPC instructions per year.

These positions will be filled very shortly.
If you would like to apply or find out more information please email me at dan@atkinsinvestment.co.uk

Cheers

DEA-Recruiter
23-07-2007, 07:20 PM
We're looking to recruit 2 x Qualified and Accredited Domestic Energy Assessors for South West London.

If you are interested please contact me via email
dan@atkinsinvestment.co.uk

Cheers

linjon
28-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I want to train to be a DEA put the price is putting me off , have you any suggestions regarding financial help

thanks linjon

dc4460
29-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by englishnes
I am part way through the DEA diploma, and have my exam in June 2007.

I'm still very unsure of what kind of salary I am to expecting, but am taking the gamble and have paid £2,100 so far for the course. There will be another £1,000 to pay if I decide not to work with the company that is training me.

Online it seems that the salary could be anything from £20k to £40k, but at the moment the law isnt in yet, and the only properties that will need to be assesses are 4bed and above. This may reduce the amount of income available???

If anyone wants to chat about ths subject I am available..
Hi englishnes, Im part way through the DEA Diploma with my exams within the next few weeks. I was wondering how you got on. Im deciding to acually work for the company that Im training with just as a bit of security.

Now EPC's are being produced for 3 bed houses and above how ae you getting on at the moment.

shorty1
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm in need of some direction! Is it worth the expense to get the DEA qualification? Is anyone making a successful career of this yet and if so are the estimated earnings as high as the advirtisements predicted? Is it worth taking funding to tie in with a company, and finally...are there any good course providers in the south of England?
Eagerly anticipating answers!

HaciendaHIPs.co.uk
30-12-2007, 07:41 PM
I am a Home Inspector and since 1 August I have completed many EPCs.

Currently there is not a full time career available as an Energy Assessor. Many people offered full time roles by companies have been made redundant or had job offers withdrawn.

1. The government originally said 3,500 assessors would be required (assuming that a full time assessor would complete approx 4 EPCs a day). There are now in excess of 10,000 who have completed or are in training. Therefore there are too many assessors out there which will help to drive the prices down.

2. Work is available from pack providers and panels. But some have closed their books to those newly qualified until work picks up so you may have to wait a while. Some companies also may have a preference for those with additional qualifications i.e. surveyors, Home inspectors, energy assessors, builders etc.

3. Pick your training provider carefully as many prospective employers have a preference and opinions about the quality of training varies. The cheapest is not always best - the better known names are BRE, SAVA and RICS.

4. Initial prices for EPCs were muted to be at £150 prior to 1 June but now average at about £65. Full time and freelance salaries were quoted at £80k plus - but in reality it is more likely to be £20-£25k. For freelancers paying their own fees, it costs between £10-£20 to produce each EPC depending on software used and your location.

The future may be somewhat brighter as EPCs will be required for all properties - rented properties will introduced in October 2008 and commercial properties will be phased in from April 2008 depending on size (an additional qualification is needed for commercial EPCs though).

Good luck to those who may be still thinking about it.

Linda Duncan
18-01-2008, 08:22 PM
**SNIP**

Widgey
18-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Linda, please stop using the forum board for advertising purposes. You have had a warning on your other post and a further breach of the rules will result in your account being suspended.

tobyk
25-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I have just been reading what has been written on this subject and whilst of course everyone is entitled to an opinion I feel compelled to respond to the tirade of nonsense being sprouted. The HIP whilst floored is at the moment here to stay. It costs £299 plus vat pretty universally. So when you move you don`t have to pay for searches on the property you are buying therefore it cancels itself out straight away. Like it or loath it, it contains all searches required to move plus an energy efficiency report. If the HIP is ever removed from the process then the energy efficiency report will have to stay as it is a european directive. I am just about to qualify as a DEA and have enough work lined up to make a VERY comfortable living indeed.
The qualification can be expanded to advise on all aspects of the market to include rental, public buildings and business. Therefore a huge market to be tapped into.
Its very easy to dismiss a new industry if you don`t understand it fully and it would appear that some of the people who have responded are rather blinkered in their ideas, even if the report made a vendor change their lightbulbs to energy efficient ones if everybody did it it would save millions in wasted energy every year. If you still think its nonsense why not ask the polar bears what they think???
So in summary, do the course, qualify and then start trading as a DEA, I can`t do all the work myself !!!

mummysboyz
26-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I really would like to make a comment regarding the cost and training to be a dea.
As an estate agency general manager/valuer of 18 years i thought it a good career move for my [slightly] unsettled 23 year old son who prefers to be out and about as opposed to being office bound.
His training costs including overnight hotel and travel costs came to almost £4,000 he passed his exam easily and is on every panel that will accept him, around 15 i think. By the way he was accredited ist August,so far he has had 3 epc instructions!
I am desperate for him to leave home however delivering pizzas will not pay a mortgage or rent in Leeds.

All i can say to those of you who are considering a career move is.......dont!

hazel1975
31-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I think it really does depend on what area you are working in as a DEA
My husband qualified in Oct 07 and although he was told he would cover the Surrey area he has so far been to most of the South East and spends most of his time in London working 11 hour days.
He cant keep up with the amount of jobs that he is getting so I am surprised to hear that some people are getting hardly any work through.

mummysboyz
04-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for that,i'm not sure Jack wants to move "down south" even though he was born in Epsom!
I was talking to a vendor of mine this morning who has suggested he get the higher qualification of commercial dea. Anyone know anything about this?
It seems that from April commercial props over 2000 sq ft have to have one?