PDA

View Full Version : Event Management Business Start up

abcmemina
04-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting that first client through the door. I have spent the last two years thinking it over, developing a business plan, thinking it over some more and finally have come to the decision that this year is the year!

I have very limited funds. I would like to initially begin with Children's parties, social events and the eventually move into the more corporate side of the industry where my experience was developed.

I would like to also incorporate wedding stationery or even social invitations and room decoration into my services but really don't have much of an idea of HOW TO GET THE CLIENT.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Wendy

RichardJohn
04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Think of the type of person you need to attract, and how yo can get to them.

For example you want to start off wit children's parties. Obviously it will be the parents who are the clients. Parents who'd hire an events management company for their child's party are likely to be well off, so try getting some leaflets into upmarket nurseries and private schools.

abcmemina
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for that thats great,

As I mentioned I have very limited funds so i am also currently building my own website with the help on 1and1.

That is a challenge in itself as I have never done this before. Do you suggest that I should continue to maintain a corporate look to the Website or make it more child like and fun if I where targeting childrens parties for example.

Thanks

Rachael
05-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Children aren't going to be hiring you though so your actual target market is time poor parents with disposable income so you need to make your business appeal to those.

nickt
05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
You could offer family/friends a few freebies to build up your portfolio. Once you have a couple under your belt attracting paying clients will be much easier as they will have testimonials, pictures etc to convince themselves with

freeform
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
It's Friday and everyone I need to speak to seems to be taking it off for the Easter weekend so I've a good long answer for you :D

Every start up needs a good marketing plan - and every marketing plan needs three things

1. start by defining what you've got to offer. What makes you unique? What problem do you help solve? Don't just list the things you do but rather how those actually help:

ex. arrange childrens parties
- parents are busy with other things - saves parents time
- coming up with good ideas is hard - you make party unique and memorable

2. then decide who your most likely clients will be - and you have to be specific. I'd usually do at least 3 groups - from the most likely down to the slightly less likely

With that list in mind - use the first step to write down the benefits to each group indivdiually, i.e. what problem can you solve for them?

Follow on from that by profiling each group in terms of demographics, what they read, where they work, what they do in their spare time etc....

ex. parents - save them time when they're busy and come up with fresh new ideas so their kids party is memorable - age 30-40, 2-3 kids, in f/t work likely, live in x area, members of PTA, they ask friends opinions etc.......

3. The last point is to use the what you've donie in the first 2 to help you decide what the most cost-effective ways are to get the message to those targets. Cost-effective isn't necessarily the cheapest - but rather the ones where you get the best return for cash and time invested.

So long as you've done steps 1 & 2 doing your marketing from there is pretty easy.

a. find a method that lets you get your message to your market
b. create your materials (ads, letters, flyers etc...) around stating the problem your target has and then your solution and benefits

ex. using the newspaper might reach out to lots of people but it doesn't really target well enough and is expensive. if parents are members of the PTA or get the school newsletter then a free article provided for them mighth give better returns

if parents like to get friends opinions then referrals are probably a good idea - to make sure my message comes across correctly I'll create simple referral cards and give them to parents I know and every client

Hope that helps a little but feel free to get in touch if you like

RichardJohn
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by freeform
It's Friday and everyone I need to speak to seems to be taking it off for the Easter weekend

It is a bank holiday :p

freeform
06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RichardJohn
It is a bank holiday :p

What's one of those?

abcmemina
08-04-2007, 09:54 PM
HI and thanks for the advice.

I will definatley take it into account and get working on it straight away!

Thanks again and have a great bank holiday

abcmemina
11-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi there its me again,

I have a query about catering issues. I was thinking of offering catering as part of my party planning for children. The idea is that I would supplie simple finger food such as sausage roles, chrisps and even sandwiches.

Could anyone tell me about what kind of insurance or certificate I would require to do this and is it more hassle than its worth?

Thanks

Wendy

davidf
17-04-2007, 10:21 PM
abcmemina i've tried emailing you, but you aren't accepting emails...please PM me your email...i'd be interested to talk to you.

abcmemina
18-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Davidf

unable to email or PM you so I have enabled my emailing facility.

Please contact me.

With thanks

Wendy