PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Telephone Numbers...

Rachael
26-03-2007, 12:08 PM
What are peoples thoughts on using virtual telephone numbers. I'm currently using vonage and have purchased a 0207 number for my new project however I am based in South Wales and will probably be based here to for quite some time...however, I want to appear as a London company - would you feel a bit let down/suspicious if you found out that a company was based in South Wales but using a virtual telephone number/address???

Rachael

Sunee
26-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Display your Welsh number with pride :)

Rachael
26-03-2007, 12:16 PM
No I don't want a Welsh number - I'd prefer an 0845 to a 01633/02920

Tyler
26-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi Rachael,

TBH I don't really feel any different about a London company to one with your welsh number. The only thought it might give me is 'How much more expensive is the product or service going to be'.

On the other hand, if you are promoting in the London area, then maybe a London number is a good idea.

Probably not much help at all but just my thoughts on the subject. Personally, I would probably go for 0845.

Regards
Tyler :)

Rachael
26-03-2007, 01:43 PM
You may not feel differently about a Welsh company v's a London company Tyler but unfortunately a lot of people do and I don't want an 0845 number I was just making the point of I'd prefer that to my welsh based number!

Widgey
26-03-2007, 02:03 PM
In regards to the actual number vs location, I have no problem where the company is located as long as they can do the job (which I know you can Rachael).

Also the benefits of having an 0207 number are not only a presence for your london based customers, but also the cost of the call will be charged at local rate for them, rather than national rate calling your normal geographical number.

Also, finding someone in your industry in London is usually VERY expensive. Now hopefully you aren't as expensive ;) but can do the job just as well, which is also a bonus for customers.

gemma1977
26-03-2007, 02:17 PM
The only problem I could forsee with having a london number, is will there come a point when your potential london client will want a face to face meeting?

And how do you get around that, if they want to come to your offices to check you out, rather than you go to them then it may take a little explaining which then defeats the objective...

But I'm sure there are ways around it, lots of companies do it around our way in Suffolk, but then on a good day we're only an hour or so from the outskirts of london... (but they still don't actually have an office there so I'm still not sure how they get around this.)

Gem

Rachael
26-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't have office premises at the moment and obviously meet my clients face to face now so I just travel to them. So I see no problems with that - after all a lot of people work at home and overcome these issues.

Tyler
26-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Rachael,

Wasn't trying to come across as smart ***** but sorry if I came across that way. I simply meant does it really make that much difference to potential clients as I wasn't sure myself? You did however, ask for peoples thoughts, so I gave mine.

Just out of interst, what exactly are your aims through using a London number?

Regards,
Tyler

aguynamedmo
26-03-2007, 03:49 PM
A london based number instantly says to me "this is going to be expensive" ...

So it depends i think on the type of client your wanting

Rachael
26-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Tyler i wasn't saying you couldn't express your opinion.
I'm planning to relocate to London (if money is possible) in the next few years so I'm keen to establish myself with London clients.

I wonder whether those who say they think expensive when they think London is because they don't live in London...At the moment my events business charges in the exact same way as many London events companies so not really sure 'price' is going to be a problem

aguynamedmo
26-03-2007, 09:05 PM
if u want to use voip as your phone system

www.sipgate.co.uk

give away free numbers, and you can choose any locale you like ...including london.

TamarTelecommunications
27-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Virtual 0207 numbers are very popular and widely used.

You've already mentioned voip. Another option for those not wanting to use voip would be diversion to a standard landline or mobile (or both).

We supply virtual numbers for throughout the UK with an online control panel so that you can change where your calls are diverted to instantly as often as you like.

http://www.tamartelecommunications.co.uk/telecoms_geographic.php

Hope that helps

RichardJohn
27-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by gemma1977
And how do you get around that, if they want to come to your offices to check you out, rather than you go to them then it may take a little explaining which then defeats the objective...

The words of someone who hasn't discovered Regus!

Widgey
27-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by aguynamedmo
if u want to use voip as your phone system

www.sipgate.co.uk

give away free numbers, and you can choose any locale you like ...including london.

She's already using a voip service called Vonage. In my opinion, it's one of the best around and I am also a customer thanks to Rachael's Referral :).

Rachael
27-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes PLEASE don't try to sell me voip solutions as if you read y original post you'd see I use vonage which in my opinion is fabulous!!

Tradeyourstuff
27-03-2007, 04:59 PM
whats the referral address? i may be keen to find out about vonage and what they could do for me!?

Rachael
27-03-2007, 05:15 PM
www.vonage.co.uk

Widgey
27-03-2007, 05:49 PM
As I said above, highly recommended and have lots of features on the line at no extra cost.

I spend a lot on the phone talking to people all over the uk and ireland and I think my biggest bill has been about 13. Not bad at all in my opinion considering lots of them were conference calls (more than one person on the call).

If you say Rachael referred you as well she will get a month free or something like that.

Rachael
27-03-2007, 05:59 PM
oooh will I lol!! I should be on commission for them, I think I've converted about 6 people lol

Widgey
27-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Well I would have mentioned your name, but only found out that they did it after I had signed up!! sorry :(

aguynamedmo
27-03-2007, 09:31 PM
dont get me started on vonage....

they're fabulously proprietory, they managed to take the SIP open standard protocal and completely lock it down....i have a cisco 7960, 250 pound IP phone that is usless with them coz they only authorise devices they sell...if ur ok using an anologue phone though, they will be fine for you...

if u are using vonage, it should be easy to get a london phone number through them

Rachael
27-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I HAVE a London number already. I know where to get numbers from my question was actually seeking out peoples opinions on using them!!

I have a digital phone and I use it perfectly well with vonage.

aguynamedmo
27-03-2007, 09:38 PM
there fine if your not using an ip phone....a regular phone through there converter...

i bought vonage though to use the sip voip equipment id already got....and they specificially banned it....and was lied to continuously....

im just waiting for the 99 day peiod to expire now so i dont get hit up for a cancellation fee

Widgey
27-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Firstly their big seller is that you do not need a voip phone and can use it like a regular phone. I don't understand why you would want to be restricted to a voip phone. Their hardware comes free when you take a line out with them, so I really don't see what the issue is. I and many other voip users would love the idea of being able to use a phone that works regardless of whether your pc is on or not.

I have used Skype and found it much more restricting than vonage.

Also I don't know what you mean about waiting for 99 day period to be up? you have a month (approx) to decide you do not want the phone and if you send it back in that time you get a refund (minus p&p) and don't get charged a disconnection fee. However, after that period, because there is no minimum contract, you get charged a cancellation fee, which in my opinion is a fantastic idea.

rant over!! :D

aguynamedmo
28-03-2007, 02:44 PM
skype is restrictive by nature, they dont use SIP, they have proprietory technology. However Vonage advertise they use SIP, which is true, they just wont let you use sip devices they dont sell or have deals with.

The Voip phone isnt restrictive at all, its very flexible, upload different firmware and you can switch to different telephony standards, not to mention 6 line capability.

Unfortunately, it took 35 days for the device to come out to me, they sent me 4 incorrect devices in the mean time (all the same i might add) when i rang to cancel, they said i should have done it in the first 30 days...which was a lie...if you read the literature it says "we take into account delays on deliveries and 30 days applies".

99 days of service is required before you cancel else they charge u for the device they give you when you signed up in full.

As i said, all fine if your using a regular phone...not if your wanting to run a business with a pbx and exchange system though...completely nerfed.

MailOrderCo
28-03-2007, 02:57 PM
If I found a company who offered a service or product I wanted it would not matter one little bit where they were based, apart from local services.

But personally I have always been wary of companies that use a "fake" phone number, although thats just my opinion. Its quite easy to see if a company is using a fake phone number and london forwarding address and it does set alarm bells ringing with me.

I have no problem ringing a 0845,0800 or a real local number company though.

Would also depend on the purchase to, if its something for under 50 I do not check them out, but something bigger I usually do a quick check to see where they are based etc.

Just my opinions. I also used to work for a internet company that used a london number forwarded to a landline in the midlands and customers used to ask all the time whats the reason for it, so it was obviously on their mind.

I am also not a fan of turning a large computer into a very very large phone, whats the problem with a real landline and normal phone nowadays ? :D With the normal amount of power cuts we get a real phone will always work, with pc based phones they only work when your pc does don't they ? and even if your business is ever without power for one day you will be wishing you had a real landline, don't put all your business communicational forms onto one device (the PC)

Widgey
28-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by aguynamedmo
Unfortunately, it took 35 days for the device to come out to me, they sent me 4 incorrect devices in the mean time (all the same i might add) when i rang to cancel, they said i should have done it in the first 30 days...which was a lie...if you read the literature it says "we take into account delays on deliveries and 30 days applies".

99 days of service is required before you cancel else they charge u for the device they give you when you signed up in full.

Well that isn't on if they are trying to charge you for a time when they were making mistakes. You're right it is in their literature that they take into account delivery times, so if I were you I would continue to fight for it.

In regards to the 99 days, I apologise as I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant it was 99 days you can have the service, didn't think you meant the router. so apopolgies for that!! :)

Good luck with getting your money back from them though.

aguynamedmo
28-03-2007, 03:02 PM
hehe thanks widgey, actually i didnt know there was a disconnect fee...im now enragged!!! and im going to do as you say and go wait 45 minutes on the phone to talk to an amercian account agent who hasnt a clue what im talking about again...and cancel this thing :)

aguynamedmo
28-03-2007, 03:26 PM
thanks much widgey

i just rang up - theyve stuck a 60 day waver on the account, so i have to pay 2 more months (16 pounds) and i get to keep the phone and no disconnect fee...

hate to think what would have happened if i hadnt read your post :)

so all in all 44 pound costs, get to keep a WiFi phone - spose its a good compromise

NatH
13-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Theres lot of places you can meet your clients, nearly every coffee shop in the City has people having an informal meeting.

Alternatively look for business centres, yes Regus is one but they aren't cheap. Try www.inigo.co.uk, they have one in the City.