PDA

View Full Version : IP/hosting/confusion!!!

nick.martin
23-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Basically, I cant figure out how to change my IP address, so is there any way via I dno, dyndns or something like that I can host something on my computer, but if necesary, change my IP or domain that people would use to access my PC?

Confusing, I know..

Thanks, Nick.

openmind
23-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Are you trying to use your computer for hosting a site for others to view?

If so you would need a fixed IP address.

Saying that though it's a really bad idea as unless you're on a T1 line, you have a hardware firewall in place and a really fast dedicated server then it's pointless :)

Just use the hosting account you have with us...

nick.martin
23-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Dont worry, its not for a website or anything like that (I leave that in your safe hands)

Its for a game, I have a static IP, but I need to be able to change it, or allow people to connect to my seerver through a name kinda thing.

edit: I'd need to change the name/IP pretty much daily (Its part of a business idea)

openmind
23-02-2007, 11:11 AM
OK but I don't really follow whay you need to change the IP address though?

nick.martin
23-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by openmind
OK but I don't really follow whay you need to change the IP address though?

Secret but what I think is brilliant business idea.

UK-Networks
24-02-2007, 03:21 PM
In helm you can set a subdomain up going to a certain IP, this could work with you logging into helm each time to change it? That would deal with the name part.

As for the static IP, your gonna really suffer trying to get that changed on daily basis and is something that i'd personally forget about totally.