PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chess

gregfindley.com
22-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi all,
Do any members of the forum play chess? for fun or on a competitive level? I've just launched a new forum site that may be of interest to you!

Thanks,
Greg

moneyman
22-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I am not yet a grand master (its not my fault that i keep getting beat by snotty teenagers) but lets have a peep. can we play on line too?

gregfindley.com
22-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Its www.chessforums.org and no play online yet, but I am working on an integrated live time chess game that will allow members to play each other, with league tables and tournaments!

Greg

shamrocker
22-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm partial to the odd game of Chess on Yahoo Games. I'm not keen on using the real setup - too used to the computer version. I'm not sure how much time I would want to devote to a forum though - but I'm sure plenty of people will be attracted to it.

gregfindley.com
22-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi Shane, thanks for your comments, I'm hoping once the live game feature is up and running it will be able to attract more members, as it will be a unique feature for the forums. I'll be sure to post a reply to this thread once thats up and running,

Thanks,
Greg

Play!!
22-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I've only just learned the game of poker. Me and a few of the boys are setting up a poker night every week for a laugh. I just have to stay away from gambling though. That's not a good thing to enjoy doing.

As for chess, I played once or twice. Didn't really get the rules down (which piece moves in which way), I know some of it though. I'd rather checkers. I find it hard to predict the moves on a checkers board. Chess would probably baffle me after predicting the next 2 moves. Am I right in thinking it's a game based around the question, what will happen if....? and then you have to plot the moves of your opponent for them and trap them. It seems like a tough game. Maybe I'll play it when I've mastered checkers, poker and backgammon.

JustOneUK
22-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I used to play chess on msn gamezone? (I think that is what it was called)

You could just arrange for your interested members to open a room and all log-in at the same time... then you wouldn't need to integrate it into your site. Not entirely sure if it works quite like that, but I used to play against several of my colleagues there all the time.

just a thought.
James.

Sunee
22-02-2007, 09:47 PM
You could install an on-line chess game, like SomeChess http://somechess.org/web/
It is open source as well :D

gwhaskew
22-02-2007, 09:54 PM
You see this is why some members get confused about the rules on self promotion...

I am not having a go Greg, but this topic isn't Off Topic if you then start self promoting.

I know its a grey area but rules are rules... Either we stick to them or we dont.

gregfindley.com
23-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by gwhaskew
You see this is why some members get confused about the rules on self promotion...

I am not having a go Greg, but this topic isn't Off Topic if you then start self promoting.

I know its a grey area but rules are rules... Either we stick to them or we dont.

Well in that case I don't think the rules are clear enough!

It is Off Topic in my mind, as 'Chess' isn't a discussion for a business forum. The way I see it, if you're not interested in Chess you wouldn't open the post?

I could understand if this was a page filled with advertisements, or about my own work, but this is a community forum site

Anyway thats my take on things, apologies if I have caused any problems,

Greg

gregfindley.com
23-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by JustOneUK
I used to play chess on msn gamezone? (I think that is what it was called)

You could just arrange for your interested members to open a room and all log-in at the same time..

Thats a good idea James, but then that requires the members to be members of MSN also, I'm hoping that an integrated game will keep members on the site and posting :)

Thanks,.
Greg

gregfindley.com
23-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Sunee
You could install an on-line chess game, like SomeChess http://somechess.org/web/
It is open source as well :D

Thanks for that link Sunee,
Will check that one out,
Greg

iccomms
23-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Greg get intouch if you want to exchange links for a poker forum as I have just started one and I know how hard it is to gather members :-) sales @ iccommunications.co.uk

gregfindley.com
23-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, thanks for joining, I'll PM you on there :)
Thanks,
Greg

BillT
27-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Just starting playing chess on Yahoo games recently. Lots of good players there but it can get a bit addictive...

Bill.