PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

moneyman
16-02-2007, 06:19 PM
1) You might not be aware that if you register your home address as your work address you are now not legally allowed to smoke there.

2) Even if you are a one man band and have a work car/van. No smoking there either!

Tough.

big_phoenix
16-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Good point

openmind
16-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Complete balls. Love to see them enforce that!

Wallace
16-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Taxi drivers are regularly fined if they smoke in there car between hires, i have on two occasions myself saw this enforced!

moneyman
16-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by openmind
Complete balls. Love to see them enforce that!

hmm you wait. they have already got a few guys in vans. health and safety enforcement is very big these days. but look on the bright side you could sue yourself if you got cancer.

Eagle
16-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by moneyman
1) You might not be aware that if you register your home address as your work address you are now not legally allowed to smoke there.
Lol. Yeah, right. Where's the link to that legislation? Or is that someone's "interpretation"?

mattley23
16-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by moneyman

2) Even if you are a one man band and have a work car/van. No smoking there either!

Tough.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

What a joke!

Wallace
16-02-2007, 11:18 PM
This is currently the case up here in Scotland, and soon to be the case in England as of the 1st of July!

I noticed up here that almost ever pub now has a Awning ( a retractable canopy outside there pub to shelter smokers from the weather) installed, so if anyone would like to capitalise on the Smoking Ban i suggest starting a company selling and installing awnings is the way to go ;), also outdoor heaters which come on for a few minutes at the touch of a button seems to be popular in pub smoking areas now too!

William :D

Eagle
17-02-2007, 12:12 AM
I really don't think cases will be brought against people smoking in their own homes, do you?

Martin
17-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Eagle
I really don't think cases will be brought against people smoking in their own homes, do you?

I'd have thought that until yesterday when I found out the government have spent 30 Million training council staff to snoop on people in pubs, take photo's for evidence and issue 50 fines.

Don't forget this lot want to charge people extra council tax if you have a nice view, or a conservatory, or a swimming pool, or maybe a slightly larger garden shed.

Anything can and does happen under Nu Labour :D

iccomms
17-02-2007, 12:45 AM
The revenue from Smokers keeps the Nhs afloat and fair enough smokers do cost the NHS because of diseases they have got because of smoking but all in all they keep us healthy.

When I saw the government were actually promoting to stop smoking I thought from their view of......what are you doing but now it is clear. They make it look like they don't like it so they can fine you knowing you probably won't give up!

brianabudabi
18-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Slightly off the topic - but does anyone have any views on snuff.

In the 19th cntry this was the most popular way for many to get their nicotine fix and I've been wondering if the advent of the smoking ban might bring this product back into fashion.

So much so I've been thinking about contacting pubs in my area to see if they would be interested in stocking it for resale - if of course I could find out were you can get it from.

moneyman
18-02-2007, 09:58 AM
i used to take snuff at school. but then what are pretentious public schoolboys meant to do in the 70's?

dont do it. it's silly and pretty disgusting

Strongbow
18-02-2007, 02:32 PM
It wasn't silly for miners when they needed it down the pit.

People will need it just the same in pubs and workplaces. Maybe more as there'll be plenty of positive associations in the memory bank of a ciggie and a pint at the same time.

You can buy snuff in shops with dispensers where a hole opens up once a button is pressed for about 1/4 the price of a pack of ciggies, so it doesn't have to be messy.

moneyman
18-02-2007, 05:11 PM
whats the point. just give up. the money you save in a year can get a small company going or pay for a decent holiday.

Strongbow
18-02-2007, 10:21 PM
A 1.39 pack of snuff with dispenser lasts weeks so the total outlay is about 15 a year.

The dispenser means nothing is wasted like having to take a pinch of it.

ifonly
18-02-2007, 11:24 PM
CrazY!

gwhaskew
18-02-2007, 11:35 PM
This idea that tobacco tax keeps the NHS afloat... I really don't buy it.

If you look at the cost of illness directly related to smoking then yes there might be a surplus. However, if you look at the cost of the number of illness's from 'anybody' who smokes the figure is greatly out.

Now obviously not all illness's are caused by smoking but smokers lifestyles in general are far less healthy than non-smokers. So even if an illness is not directly linked to smoking, the effects of smoking are still apparent.

Eagle
19-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Again, I don't recall the exact figures, but smokers cost the NHS something like 4Billion per year in treatments. However, they 'donate' 80 Billion per year to the NHS in taxes. That's good economics.

gwhaskew
19-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Yeah I understand what you are saying and I am sure those figures are correct. However, I don't think the true damage of smoking is assessed in those figures.

As an example, I remember reading recently that a greater proportion of people who suffer from depression are more likely to smoke heavily than those who don't. Depression isn't factored into the figure you gave, but it still costs the NHS money.

Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to determine an extrememly accurate figure.

moneyman
19-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Eagle
Again, I don't recall the exact figures, but smokers cost the NHS something like 4Billion per year in treatments. However, they 'donate' 80 Billion per year to the NHS in taxes. That's good economics.

tobacco revenue is just under 10 billion.
you could use the same arguement to push gun crime as long as they just shot ill people.

i just hate all the cr@p that goes with smoking,. the ash, the fag ends, the air of despondancy etc. that's why i gave up. look at the smokers around you. hardly a cool lifestyle choice.

hoobs
19-02-2007, 12:58 PM
You might as well give up now, It will totaly socialy unacceptable within 5 years. If you are a smoker do not enter this argument with a reformed smoker, we are the worst anti smokers in the world! We can bore you into submission over any period ranging from minutes to relentless nagging lasting years.

SpencerDeLacey
20-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Ive been taking snuff for years now, it was actually recommended to me by a friend as something to do while quitting.

Its much better for you then cigarettes, and doesnt contain as much stuff as the packaged fags. It also isnt heavily taxed, and you could go for a year on about 60.

I can see it catching on, if I ever take it when out in a bar people either are really interested or think im taking cocaine, but if more people do it I suppose it'll be better.

Definately a business opp!

Play!!
21-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I think most smokers know how bad it is. I can't think of one good thing about smoking. It costs loads of money, it's addictive, it makes your clothes smell horrible, it makes your house smell horrible, it's bad for health, bad for teeth and bad for you in general. Also, I'm sure it has some sort of depression effect so it probably isn't good for mental health either. Let's face it, it can't be good to smoke chemicals, esspecially chemicals we know nothing about. Personally, I think everyone has a choice to smoke or not. It's fair enough to ban it in public places so the people who have chosen not to smoke have their choice respected. I especially think it should be banned where kids are.