PDA

View Full Version : re-doing a logo/name?


kinster
05-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a name for a skills-based website. I've had Skillicious, Skillivity, Skillypso, Perojex. But am running out of ideas.

Help appreciated.

Regards

moneyman
05-01-2007, 12:06 PM
neither. 99% chance that someone will hear of you, rather than read your name and how the heck are they going to spell it right and find you, without accidently bumping into a rival site? keep it simple. skills etc. or highlyskilled.co or allskills anything just dont make it silly if you are in the business world and not a creative agency

Stationery-Direct.co.uk
05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with Moneyman, also I would not post any of your possible domain names/business names on here as the chances are they will get registered before you get the chance to do so.

kinster
05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I've thought of a few simple ones but no .com, only .net :(

kinster
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
what you think of skillpatrol? A lot of simple ones have gone... like skillsquad, skillcamp etc...

MailOrderCo
05-01-2007, 01:33 PM
What about TheSkill.co.uk ?

.co.uk available now, .com and .net is not, but i know plenty of companies that run a success on just a .co.uk and never need the .com or .net

peekaboo
05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
skilltemple.com - all available!!

Brett

kinster
05-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MailOrderCo
What about TheSkill.co.uk ?

.co.uk available now, .com and .net is not, but i know plenty of companies that run a success on just a .co.uk and never need the .com or .net

yeah, but needing a .com :(

gregfindley.com
06-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by PromotionalPrint.co.uk
I have to agree with Moneyman, also I would not post any of your possible domain names/business names on here as the chances are they will get registered before you get the chance to do so.

Originally posted by MailOrderCo
What about TheSkill.co.uk ?

.co.uk available now

http://www.lcn.biz/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?phase=owner&query=theskill.co.uk

You're right PromotionalPrint.co.uk!

moneyman
06-01-2007, 09:45 AM
you can get away without a dot com if you are small and uk based. in fact i would say .co.uk is much better. i tend to search them first for freelancers as i wont be bothered by overseas people.
however check out the dot com. i started before this was all a problem and my .com is a gay porno site which hardly enhances my reputation. :D

Stationery-Direct.co.uk
06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by gregfindley.com
http://www.lcn.biz/cgi-bin/whois.cgi?phase=owner&query=theskill.co.uk

You're right PromotionalPrint.co.uk!

Tyler thats not very nice, I know business is cut throat but that's a bit low.

moneyman
06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
did you just nick that name to screw up another forum member and then boast about it?

just remember that post will be searchable for years if people want to know how ethical your company is. If i wanted you to set up a site for me and register the name on my behalf i would definitely think again. it makes you look like a completely unethical chancer. where is it going to get you, probably you wont make a fiver but you have just probably messed up your chances of something big in the future.

you dont need to be a complete git to get ahead in business, you need friends.

Tyler
06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Kinster said the .co.uk was no good he needed .com

Therefore if someone says its no good for them I'm not going to leave it for someone else to snap it up am I.

If kinster decides he wants the domain, I'm happy for him to contact me and he can have it for the 11.75 it cost me.

openmind
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Tyler
Kinster said the .co.uk was no good he needed .com

Therefore if someone says its no good for them I'm not going to leave it for someone else to snap it up am I.

If kinster decides he wants the domain, I'm happy for him to contact me and he can have it for the 11.75 it cost me.

Plus the Nominet transfer fee. This does highlight the fact though that you should not discuss domains on a public board as if Tyler hadn't registered it then it would have been someone else...

jet
06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Take note of what moneyman said tyler,

Of course you have every right to purchase that domain but I dont see the point if you dont even want or need it and if your going to sell it to kinster for the same price you paid for it , why bother?

Just causes problems tyler mate, if kinster needed it then why take it from him? Its an irrelevant domain to you and your business anyway!

But if you want to cause agro then thats up to you!

jet.

Eagle
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe Tyler was simply securing the domain incase someone else grabbed it and decided to charge an extortionate fee. Tyler doesn't appear (to me anyway) to be being malicious here.

As Phil pointed out though, it's a mug's game discussing names on a public forum.

Tyler
06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
thanks eagle. :D

Sunee
06-01-2007, 11:04 PM
I was going to write a small joke and mention that I will be naming my company Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to see if someone registered it, however the .co.uk domain has already gone :D

kinster
06-01-2007, 11:21 PM
cheers fellas for looking out for me :)

I don't mind Tyler snapping it up. I was after a .com as it's (hopefully) going to be available worldwide.

I've gone for either:

talentset.com or skillpatrol.com

Tyler
07-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Skill Patrol sounds cool :)

@jet - I didnt do anything to cause agro. Kinster said he didnt want it he wanted a .com so I dont see what the problem is.

And it's actually very strongly related to me so please refrain from making false assumptions.

Hope nobody else has a problem with me registering it now as it turns out I was right in doing so as Kinster DIDN'T want it.

Regards,
Tyler

Tyler
07-01-2007, 07:42 AM
I noticed you haven't registered skillpatrol.co.uk or talentset.co.uk kinster

Would that not be a good idea also? Then you could just point it at your .com domain? Stops anyone else using it for anything similair to you or possibly even damaging your reputation doesn't it? :D

jet
08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tyler
Skill Patrol sounds cool :)

@jet - I didnt do anything to cause agro. Kinster said he didnt want it he wanted a .com so I dont see what the problem is.

And it's actually very strongly related to me so please refrain from making false assumptions.

Hope nobody else has a problem with me registering it now as it turns out I was right in doing so as Kinster DIDN'T want it.

Regards,
Tyler

Sorry i thought you bought just it to stop kinster getting it. I read what others were saying and it seemed you just bought it to boast about it, which is unfair, but if you generally need it then thats cool. And it seemed you never needed it until someone else thought of it.

Anyway if kinster doesnt even want it then theres no problem, and like i said you have every right to buy it.

So i apologise mate :)!

jet.

Tyler
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
No prob cheers ;)