PDA

View Full Version : Bank charges

Poppy4
04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Happy new year everyone

I'm going to claim back some bank charges but in the first instance who do I send correspondence to?

Thanx

openmind
04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.penaltycharges.co.uk/

Step by step guide....

Poppy4
04-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanx Openmind :D

david_fearns
04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Its definitly worth doing - I know somebody who got almost 5000 back!!

Sadly, I haven't had any bank charges, so I can't join the war on the banks!

I wonder what effect this is going to have on banks though, will they change the way they work, what they charge?

Spiralling
04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
you can also join the forum at consumeractiongroup.co.uk to get step by step help and advice. We claimed back over 2k in this house :)

gwhaskew
04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Do be very careful though. I know someone who recently re-claimed back 500 only for the bank the next week to recall his entire overdraft of 2000. Needless to say my friend was in the **** !

MADDE
04-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I also know 2 people who just got back 750 and a 5000.

Its apparently very easy to do and you should not really go giving 10-40% away to a company to do it for you (which they are advertisig on google etc) to do it yourself will take in total about 30 minutes of your time and 3 stamps at a ttoal cost of under 11 with statement fee and postage fee.

hellerooo
04-01-2007, 07:25 PM
It's a bit more longwinded than 30 minutes and 3 stamps i'm afraid. You have court fees to pay upfront, allocation questionnaires to complete. However, I agree you don't need to pay anyone to do it. The consumer action group website has templates for every letter you need, and if they don't have what you need the board is full of helpful people who tell you what to do.

I did mine, it took 2 months from requesting my statements to receiving a cheque. NW closed my bank account in the process, but i'd reckoned on that happening anyway and had another account already set up. I got 1200 back from old Uni charges....very happy start to the new year!!

KidSammy
04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm quite intrested in this although I'm not too clued up on this subject....

Does the bank automatically close your account? how has this affected people with regards to current stationary printed (with bank details) and so on...

Widgey
04-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by hellerooo
It's a bit more longwinded than 30 minutes and 3 stamps i'm afraid. You have court fees to pay upfront, allocation questionnaires to complete.

This is correct, but it's actually VERY rare that the case ever makes it to court. It appears that the cases where court action was put in place, they paid back before the case was heard.

Good luck either way!! :D

MADDE
04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Both people I know got it back within 3-4 weeks, kept there accounts open, and was only a few ping pong letters and stamp costs, plus 10 for statemet reprints.

No questionaires to fill in and never heard of anyone paying court fee's upfront for this either. Banks that played ball and paid up in quick time with lloyds tsb and hsbc.

Never heard of a bank going to court as they would lose and they would not like the extra costs involved.

But it is known accounts can get closed, so get a back-up set-up just in case :-) but most banks will keep your account if you make them some money, they will refund a high percentage of your charges but not all.

It has been deemed fair for them to charge you 12 charges rather than the excessive 25+ they have been charging and the 12 charges are mostly all proft, so if they can see they can make a heap of you in the future on fai 12 charges, they will more than likely keep your account open.

Good luck

Spiralling
04-01-2007, 10:54 PM
It hasn't been deemed fair for them to charge 12 at all. The OFT said they wouldn't investigate charges under 12. However, as the law stands, they are not allowed to charge you more than it costs them. They would need to prove that you going over your O/D limit or whatever costs them 12 in order for it to be fair.

If you get as far as sending a Letter Before Action, and still don't get your refund, then you are at the point of filing a claim with the court, and at this point, you have to pay court fees. These can be added to your claim, so you get them back, but you do have to pay them first.

If your claim, as mine did, goes as far as being filed, and a defense being filed by the bank, then you will have to fill in an allocation questionnaire, but there are templates on Consumer Action Group for this too. If your claim is for over 1500, you will have to pay further court fees as this point, but these can be claimed back too.

It is an easy process, and for some it is very quick. For others it can be a bit more complicated, but the law is on our side, so it is worth doing.

There are some horror stories out there, but these are the minority - the majority of people get their money back with no account closure and no overdraft recall.

hellerooo
05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I agree with Spiralling.

Account closure is a very rare occurrence, me and NW have not been 'getting on' for years, I think they saw it as an excuse. I had no od and no debt to them, so wasn't making them any money, just using an account.

It was an old student account too, so hasn't affected my business in any way.

I got all charges, all interest, court submission fees, and even recorded delivery costs for sending each letter! I didn't have to pay for filing my allocation questionnaire as my claim was only 1200.

Good luck to anyone who decides to claim back charges.

Encantador
16-01-2007, 08:29 AM
There is also a forum about this at www.moneysavingexpert.com

Sherry_D
16-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Encantador
There is also a forum about this at www.moneysavingexpert.com

Hmm i also frequent that board. Are you a moneysaver then Encantador? I am a wannabe. I hope I will soon be a moneysaver