PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I get a stall at a craft fair???

ruthiemccall
16-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know of a way to get stalls at craft fairs without booking two chuffing years in advance?? That's if they ever get back to you!! And that's before I even get to the stage of telling them what I'm selling!

Any insights? Please let me know.

xx

raspberrybloom
16-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Generally, you do need to book a year in advance if they a big events. Also, people that attend regularly are always offered stalls before they go on general sale.

There are some good websites that list fairs.

What do you sell and where are you based?

Lou

ACN
17-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I have the same problem as an artist. I can't get into local exhibitions/craft fairs unless i book for next year, plus i have found that if you are 'out of the loop' you don't tend to get a look in.

The solution i hold my own exhibitions. Local ones in local halls. You get a good cross section of talent including some of those inside the 'circle'! It takes a bit of time to organise but with good advertising and the local interest it can be a great success, and makes a bit of money in the process.

It isn't everyoners cup of tea organising it, but take it step by step and keep it simple it can be done. generally after the first one you usually make contact with someone who is willing help organise other exhibitions.

ruthiemccall
20-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Cheers Guys. Thought it was just me!

I have a healthy stock of handmade fabric jewellery. I wanted to test the water by selling directly to the public before setting up a website, but I think maybe I've got it the wrong way round.

I've just enquired about a trade show but I'm not in a position to be selling on mass.

Do either of you guys have your products stocked in someone's shop? If so how did you go about it?

Raspberry I love your website! Do you have stockists aswell? What order did you do things in??

Sorry for all the questions but it is a forum I suppose!!!

xx
Ruthie

raspberrybloom
20-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ruthiemccall
Do either of you guys have your products stocked in someone's shop? If so how did you go about it?

Raspberry I love your website! Do you have stockists aswell? What order did you do things in??

Thank you Ruthie - its all down to Sarah at Saronyx Design!!

I have my products stocked in a local shop, www.flifashion.co.uk. - I hope its ok to post the link. She saw us in the local paper and approached us.

I am thinking of approaching some shops myself. I thought I might write a letter and include some high quality photos. (Not sure whether to include prices. Though I am open to sale or return.) Then follow it up with a phone call.

The way we went about things was launched the website first in November and our first craft fair in December of last year.

I am more than happy to share experiences if you want to drop me an email.

Louise