PDA

View Full Version : Help with selling

munchester2cool
23-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi, it's me again.

My mum is a dressmaker and one of her friends suggested that she sell her clothes on eBay. She has to on at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170041709449&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170041717306&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

It's clear that people are looking, but there are still no bids. These items have already been relisted once.

What do I do to make them more attractive?
Should I make a website?

munchester2cool
23-10-2006, 01:03 PM
No one likes them, then?

gnu
23-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Better quality product images (the one I looked at seemed a bit out of focus / grainy.

I think picutures of clothes look better on a model / maquin.

Maybe change the gawdy template used on adds.

Check the pricing is competitive.

Also look at what else is selling in this area, are the designs what people are after?

munchester2cool
23-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I'll change the pictures. Thanks for that.
Also, I've lowered the price already, but I shall look into that.

Thanks for your help.

ib4b.co.uk
23-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Read some guidelines on eBay and other websites for good selling techniques.

I don't think ebay is suited to these sort of products, you will be lucky to get a sale. That is only in my opinion though and I am talking about selling on ebay alone, not in general.

munchester2cool
23-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Where should I sell then? My mum's becoming despondent.

Thanks for the tips, by the way.

go4it
23-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Ebay is not the place to sell new clothes on. Clothes never sell well on Ebay. If someone buys something and it doesn't fit, there is the hassle of returning it (if you have a returns policy). The only clothes that sell are big brands. People know they will like them as they have tried them on and seen them in shops. Plus if worse comes to the worse they know they can sell it on.

The only method is to rent shop space and provide a changing room. There is a market for unique clothes. People are buyiung trailer park trash from Tesco and Next to find out that everyone else has bought one. Pride the clothes on being unique, that should help them sell.Good luck!

gwhaskew
24-10-2006, 12:18 AM
My Girlfriends Mum is a designer. I think the key to this is finding a small number of clients and getting them to repeat order. She has clients that are celebrities and very wealthy people.

One place to start would be young ladies for their End of year/Summer balls. If they like it... they will order a new dress made for every posh occasion they go to.

I know my girlfriend's friends are so envious of the fact that she gets tailor made new dresses for every classy event we go to. My girlfriend litterally has scores of perfectly designed dresses.

There are many women who will find a dress they really like, but there will be something ever so small wrong with it... like it doesn't fit over the breast or is slightly too long/short or the cut isn't right.

You need to work on your word-of-mouth Market.

It might be worth doing some discount work for someone in the hope they tell their friends. What you could also do is give that person business cards for her friends but tell her that every person she sends to get a new dress she can get 15% of the price... I am sure she would start reffering lots of her friends if that was the case.

My Girlfriends Mum's dresses sell for over a thousand pounds each so a refferal system would work well. I know that these dresses are a lot less, but that's because it looks to me like you're trying to sell in quantity. I think once you have established a client base you can creep your prices well up! A specially designed dress should cost a minimum of 100.

With regards to eBay... It's not the best way to sell clothes. But if you want to go down this way... you should certainly model the dresses. At the moment it is impossible to tell what it would look like on.

Hope it goes well.

munchester2cool
24-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Thank you very much for all your comments. They were all really helpful and I think I wil persue from that angle.