PDA

View Full Version : Web user habits

Poppy4
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Hello, does anyone know where I can get info on the habits of web users. For example, there's lots of info on the psychology of real-life shopping and offline advertising (don't advertise on the left page) but what about online habits. Does anyone know which side of the screen is best for banners, where does the surfers eyes usually fall to first on a web page. Any ideas?

hightide
09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
google search for "eye tracking" which is quite interesting - it chwos where the eye is drawn on wbe pages and helps you value positions

Jon

calum
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
What you're talking about is called usability - how easy it is for the user to find what they are looking for.

Web pages are slightly different from the real world - instead of idly glancing at shelves like we do in the shops (so all the expensive / high volume stuff gets put at eye level), users are actively looking for what they came to your site for. So when a user hits your site, looking for XYZ widget, they need to find a route to that widget, fast. If they make a mistake, they need to be able to recover, fast. When they come back in a month's time (online users often don't buy on the first visit), they need to find it again, fast.

The canonical site is www.useit.com - There is a series of (I think monthly) columns (called the Alertbox or something) that have been going on for a very long time and basically summarise the guy's experience as a usability consultant. Start off with stuff like the top ten mistakes and follow your nose - there is an incredible amount of information there that even today, hundreds of websites don't follow. I can't count the number of times I've walked away from a website because I couldn't find something I needed.

gwhaskew
09-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Hightide: I found that eye-tracking quite useful!! thanks.

Calum: welcome to the forum.

G