PDA

View Full Version : CD Catalogues

Belinda
22-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi All,

I am wanting to put my wholesale catalogue onto a CD as the current 6 page hardcopy is not that flash or cost effective and I need to be able to add quite a number of good quality pictures and press references.

What I need to know is what software to create this in. I see most are done with Adobe, does anyone have any recommendations or advice regarding this.

Thanks
Belinda
Aspire Imports
www.aspireimports.co.uk

trader
22-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Hi

the majority of CD Rom catalogues do tend to be produced as Pdf files (using adobe). this enables you to use tools such as photoshop to add and manipulate photos.

there are plenty of companies around that reproduce CD Roms and they tend to be a good, cheap way of distributing what you have to offer. Also they can print the CD Rom covers -the cheapest being a cardboard sleve.

you can of course have your catalogue operate like a computer programme with animations, links to your site and other features, though i'm not a 100% sure about these things.

Kate

brianabudabi
24-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Macromedia Director

kudosmedia
26-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi belinda,

Yeah macromedia director can work or you can also use Authorware too, but its really up to you what package you prefer to work with. I prefer Authorware over director but i have to use both.

My company would be able to help you with it thought if your having problems: www.kudswebdesign.co.uk as we produce interactive multimedia CD-ROMS.

Hope that helps, oh yeah phtoshop would work also as has been said!

Kind regards,
Stephen Hume,
Kudos Media

trader
29-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Hi

Hope your research into CD catalogues is going Ok. As I have a moment free, thought i'd just add a bit more info to my previous post.

A single CD Rom can hold a quantity of information equivalent to about 250,000 pages of text, 15,000 graphic images or an hour of sound. Thus you can mix and match very easily the items you want for storage.

The cost of producing a CD Rom is about a pound. However, the cost of setting up the content is not quite so cheap. As mentioned before, text can be created as a pdf, photos on photoshop and macromedia software can make animations and offer interactive capabilities.

A master Cd needs to be created, from which copies can be made. this usually costs up to 1000. After that, the cost of replication is very low approx 1.

then you need packaging for the CD Rom. There are various options, with the cheapest being a cardboard sleeve and graphics using two or three colours. the cost of packaging can be anything between 20p - 2 per Cd Rom.

If you'd like further information about any aspect of creating Cd rom catalogues, i'm very willing to assist. good luck with your catalogue.

Kate

www.accurateenglish.co.uk