PDA

View Full Version : Client Problems

chrisgrant0
20-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I am a 17 year old student and run a small web design business for local companies. Recently i recieved an email asking if i would create a website for a local performing arts group. We finally decided on the price two days ago, and I started work on it immediately, after sending him several quotes, and recieving a purchase order. Ive spent a good 10 hours on it over the last two days, and then tonight, i recieved an email from the client saying that the committee at the group "feels at the present time we cannot afford to get a website."

This has never happened to me before, and i really dont have a clue what to do. If anyone can offer any help or advice i would appreciate a lot.

Best Regards
Chris Grant

davidwilding
20-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi,
I always make sure that I take a deposit from the customer before starting work. I make clear that this is non-returnable and if they go ahead with the work then i deduct this from the final total.

I include this with a contract and get them to sign and agree.

Customers are usually happy with this!

Dave.

Widgey
20-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Not much you can do unless you had a contract!

They can pull out at anytime if you have no restrictions in place. Use it as experience and maybe introduce something they have to sign before work starts.

I do think you maybe rushed into the job a little quickly!

All the best though

Paul

Sunee
20-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Chris received a purchase order though.

Find out who the chair of the committee is, and write to them.
It sounds like whoever sent the purchase order did not obtain committee approval, however, that is not your problem to deal with, it is something for them to sort out.

Include a photocopy of the purchase order, and say that you will issue a small claims proceeding if they do not come to some payment agreement.

20-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi Chris

unfortunately I don't think it is worth your time and effort persuing the issue - but at least you can learn something for future projects - which at the end of the day what life's all about. As Dave says, make sure you take a deposit before starting any work in the future - it's pretty standard practice in the industry so it shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps respond to their e-mail along the lines of ...am really disapointed that you have decided not to continue with the website, however please feel free to get back in touch at any point in the future if you change your mind (obviously asking for an upfont payment the next time)

all the best

James

Limeone
20-09-2006, 06:49 PM
in most cases unless is was conditional on other matters you will have a contract. If you would like me to look at it for you I would do so free of charge and let you know the best way forward. I need the emails and any details of calls made and taken as well as the order sent to info@limeone.com. Allow me a couple of days to get back to you as I am pretty booked solid until Monday now.

openmind
20-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Time and time again...

Get the agreed development in writing and get them to cough up a 50% deposit. They then pay the other 50% BEFORE the site goes live.

It's your time they are paying for so why run the risk of working for free?

integreatmedia
20-09-2006, 08:33 PM
How do you come up with a contract for this type of business? what should the contract contain? are there standard ones you can buy 'of the shelf'? or do you need a bespoke one for your company (talking specifically web design businesses here.)

openmind
20-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Well there are project templates designed for the web industry that you can get and adapt such as www.proposalkit.com

Alternatively you can employ the services of Antonia at LimeOne whom we have used before for contracts designed specifically for your business.

gwhaskew
21-09-2006, 02:29 AM
In terms of what you should do next....

Maybe if you have some time on your hands or in your spare time finish the website and show it to them... You know they need a website, maybe when they see the finished product they'll buy it.

Definately don't disgard them as a potential customer.