PDA

View Full Version : OT- Open Return Tickets

Incepto
09-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a link to a site that I could get an open return ticket to the far east (Bangkok, or Hong Kong preferably) at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Rachael
10-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Have a look at
www.statravel.co.uk/ I've used them in the past and think they're great!

alisonellerbrook0
10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
You will always have to book a return flight (for visa and ticketing reasons) but what you want is a ticket that you can change the return portion free of charge with the airline when you are away.
The maximum length of ticket you will be able to buy is 12 months, you will have to return within a year.

I used to work for Trailfinders and we did this all the time, you just want to make sure you buy a flexible ticket. Definitely give them a ring - they have extremely competitive fares and compete directly with STA.

In my experience, for long haul flights, you will always get a better price ringing them directly than trying to book online - the airline fares are a minefield and an experienced travel consultant knows the tricks of the trade and will find you the cheapest fari 99% of time. I never book long haul online, for europe it's a different matter.

Incepto
10-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. They've been a great help- I've never been on a long haul flight!

Are there any companies I can just phone, and they find the cheapest flight to my spec?

Also, will I be more likely to find a cheaper flight if I phone the helpline of 'online' companies?

I only want the flight open for 3 months. I will carry on looking around for one that I can change the return flight free of charge. Would this be in the terms and conditions, or would it be in big bold writing that is obvious to find??

Thanks.

alisonellerbrook0
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Go to trailfinders.com and find your nearest branch, ring them directly and they will find you the best deal.

Then I would do the same for STA and Travelbag too to compare prices. Ring at least 4 to get the best price.

The travel consultant will quote the terms to you - we were required to at trailfinders, but make sure you specify you want to change the return. KLM usually have these type of tickets with one or two free changes permitted, most major scheduled airlines will.
Just ask for a flight with a change or two free of charge or a low cost (some airlines only charge, say, 25 to change and you may getter a cheaper ticket).

Incepto
11-09-2006, 02:26 PM
When you change the return ticket, do you have to make up the difference in price? (ie. with 'free' meaning no admin costs??).

Cheers.

alisonellerbrook0
11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
If you have a ticket which allows you '1 free change' say with KLM, all you have to do is ring the airline directly when you are away and they will do it completely free of charge - you do not go through the travel agent.

The free change (usually) only applies once you have left the UK, e.g. if you decided to keep changing the return flight with your travel agent before you went they may charge you an admin fee.

From my knowledge, most schedules e.g BA, Air France, KLM, US airlines offer a free change return ticket BUT usually the cheapest fares are fixed so you will generally have to pay a little bit more at the outset to get a flexible ticket.

Anyway any of the travel agents will be able to explain this :)