PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on stock??

RyanN
07-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi people,

A question to all those people who run, own or know someone who runs a small clothing shop.

How much do you spend a month on stock????

I am trying to do my financial projections and not sure how much stock I need to start of my shop??? 1,000 2,000 3,000 who knows???

Any advice please??

chris q
07-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi,
It all depends on what your minimum carriage paid order is from the supplier, minimum order and the speed that they can get it to you. It's a fine line between having too much stock and running out of things. Have you got opinions on stock from friends who buy the stuff as then you may be able to gauge what's most popular.
HTH
Chris

elena
08-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi,

It all depends on how much variety you want to have. What the minimum orders are from your suppliers.

I spent approx 10000 on stock when i started and i was so worried that i wouldnt be able to sell it. But now so much of it has gone and im constantly reordering.

Also my suppliers now know me and they help me out a great deal sending me very small orders, allowing me to return goods i dont sell etc. They are brilliant.

When i get my shop i will probably try to stock all sizes but have less variety. I think its best to have available sizes of everything you hold although sometimes this isnt possible.

You say you have a shop. Where the leases for retail very complicated. Thats my next step but im so concerned about signing leases. I think the government should have areas of towns where they have an easy in easy out option. I know they do this for offfices why not shops?

Never mind

Elena
www.oohlalaa.com

RyanN
08-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Elena,

I haven't got my shop yet, im in th eprocess of choosing one so havent really gomne ahead with the lease.

As far as stock is concerned the vast majority of distributors have an order limit of just 250.00

My initial capital isn't massive and really couldn't afford 10,000 worth of stock, unless they supply on a 'refund if no sale' basis.
Is that how you worked?? or did you have to pay out the 10,000 first???

Did your suppliers let you have a certain amount of time to pay your order off like 30 days etc???

Havent really got that far down the line with my suppliers so not sure what it would be acceptable to ask for?

Zozzy
08-05-2003, 01:28 PM
hi Ryan

I've had to pay pro forma with most of my suppliers as I'm a new customer, but they've all been pretty good at setting up accounts after first order. Probably also worth asking for a discount (around 3%) if you're paying pro forma - I didn't, but wish I had!

Z
www.beautifulthings.co.uk (http://www.beautifulthings.co.uk)