PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Webpage help

Belinda
07-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi All,

I need some help. I feel like I have gone backwards mainly because all the websites I had had or currently have I have built with packaged template systems such as instantestore, quickbizsites & easystorecreator.

Now I have hosting, am ok with basic html and I have used ftp before but I have no clue about creating a web page, I have done a few, some work, some don't and I just can't figure what I am doing wrong or different.

The other thing is when I look at the ftp it has a file I am supposed to load all web pages to but need to know how this should be organised.... if I load 5 pages how does it know which one to show for the home page??

I know, really basic stuff but in my past experience I have by-passed all this and now need to go back to basics. Can any one rec a tutorial or assist with the basics?

Thanks
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk

thenroberts
07-08-2006, 09:17 PM
You want the home page to be called index.html / htm / asp / php

Aled
07-08-2006, 09:20 PM
index.html will be the first page loaded for any web browser.

There are many ways of creating a "website". Each has a different technique and way of doing it. For a simple web site you can use a WYSIWYG editor such as Macromedia Dreamweaver or the Free Nvu (http://nvu.com/download.html)

You can just drag and dropwhat you need on to a page it's quite simple.

Try taking a look at some "semantic" web pages using XHTML and CSS and PHP these dynamically driven web pages seem to be the way the industry is going.

Belinda
07-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. If I call it index.html will that show like .............co.uk/index.html? If yes I don't want that as I never had an index page before and this will have a 0 google page rank. Currently the home page is just .....co.uk which has a 5 page rank I want to keep.

The site is just going to be a basic affiliate site, I bit different to my current one and I was hoping to do it without having to buy any software but is this crazy to think I can do it without?

Thanks
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk

thenroberts
07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
if someone goes to either

www.chicshops.co.uk
www.chicshops.co.uk/index.html

it will display the same index.html page

hope this helps

Phil
07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
the index.html page is the one that the plain whatever.co.uk address points to.

i.e. on my site, netinspired.co.uk/index.php is the same as just netinspired.co.uk

Aled
07-08-2006, 09:39 PM
any site you go to you will directly be loading the index.html page.

And it's a lie that you will get a worse google rank by showing index.html :) as it's the content inside this page that gets you a better rank.

I don't know your project but you can use notepad to create a webpage.

What you've got to think about is the look and how the website needs to function. If its a complex process then perhaps your current limited knowledge won't be enough. If your looking at just updating information on the page. Then save the site to your hard drive and if its just simple HTML (File > Save As in your browser). Then right click > open with... > select notepad (un click always open with this program) and you can modify it then click ctrl+s. Then you can view it on your machine.

If the site's running ASP or PHP then you'll need to either download Visual Studio Express (Free from www.msdn.com) for ASP or get XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) for PHP. These will emulate a webserver on your local machine.

The visual studio can also be used to create websites.

DeterminedOne
07-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Belinda,

If you need any help feel free to fire questions at me at lauraATwonderproductsDOTcoDOTuk or via messenger as I've fired enough your way in the past!

I would stick with it and try and build it yourself as after you've done one the others will be easy peasy!

As mentioned before...every website points at an index page, some just show this in the url and others are hidden...at the end of the day, the url is the same to search engines.

Laura

chriso
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi Belinda,

Some excellent advice above. The tutorials at www.w3schools are really helpful and have try it out examples for you to use as you learn too. They also have a forum that's really helpful and full of lots of good advice too.

As Laura says - the hardest bit is the first page so stick with it!!

If you need any help, feel free to drop me an email and I'd be happy to help you out.

Good luck!!

Spiralling
08-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Another tutorial site is http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/ which I found really helpful when I switched to writing my site in html instead of using an editing program.

It's far more satifying at the end of the day when you see that you've managed t do what you set out to do without using the software.

I had a basic plan of how I wanted things to look and then used the tutorial to get my head round what html was needed for each different bit.

Belinda
08-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Am slowly getting me head around it and will give it a go. I have tried FrontPage once but didn't like so much.

Laura will prob take you up on your offer.

Cheers,
Belinda
www.chicshops.co.uk