PDA

View Full Version : toilet attendants

knownothing
26-07-2006, 10:58 AM
had a run in on saturday night with a toilet attendant in a nighclub who demanded a pound from me for washing my hands which I refused to pay. The man was shouting and at one point grabbed my arm which I immediately removed(just removed nothing more). Anyway me being me - following up i complained to the club with a strong email and got the name of the sub-contractor who supplies them with attendants. I spoke to the owner of the company who informed me that he has never heard of such an incident ever happening (not sure i believe this) and that the man has been sacked (not great but i dont think it's good for business if your staff are assaulting customers). Anyway the owner of the company wants to meet me next week - this seems dubious to me as i have explained i consider the matter closed now but he is quite insistent and thinks 'fate' or something might have drawn us together. Is this weird or what? I am usually an advocate of complaining when i have received poor service but in this instance i feel i wish i just left it alone.

Stationery-Direct.co.uk
26-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Sounds dodgy to me, I wouldn't go, not unless I had some of my larger friends with me anyway.

captainadventure
26-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Run, run like the wind!

Only joking, you were right to complain, they can be less than tactful at times from my experience, although i would suggest not meeting the owner, sounds like a bit of a fruitcake!

Keep us informed!

knownothing
26-07-2006, 11:15 AM
think he might be worried that I might kick up a fuss over the 'right to work status' of his employees but i'm not going to. What's more worrying is he claims to be a pastor (though could be true). Amazing how the most trivial petty things can get blown up.

one2escape
26-07-2006, 11:37 AM
If you are going go with a friend(s). Just in case.

MK Printing
26-07-2006, 11:56 AM
If he wants to meet you then meet in a public place with friends. Let people know where you are going and what time you will be back.

I don't actually understnad why he wants to meet with you, and unless there is anything for you to gain, don't go.

I have gone along to some meeting where friends have been buying or selling gig tickets. They don't really want to meet someone and take 100 off them and risk being mugged shortly after by one of their mates.

Matt

bloo
26-07-2006, 12:05 PM
why does a sub contractor of toilet attendants deem it fate to have met you exactly?

knownothing
26-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by bloo
why does a sub contractor of toilet attendants deem it fate to have met you exactly?

good question - dont know i kept saying the matter closed and im happy with it now but he kept saying he wants to meet - here's the email i got from him after our call (names taken out)

'THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD CONDUCT. WELL APPRECIATED

JUST GOT YOUR MAIL, LIKE I SAID AM SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MIGHT HAVE

COST YOU . THE STAFF IN QUESTION HAS JUST BEEN SACKED AS WE AS HAVE RULE

AND REGULATION IN OUR SERVICES TO OUR CLIENTS AND THEIR GUEST.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME, WE'VE EXPERIENCE SUCH A SITUATION AS YOU DESCRIBED IT, WE'VE

BEEN PROVIDING THIS SERVICES SINCE 1998, IN OTHER VENUES BUT IN LEEDS, BRIGHTON &

LONDON.

LIKE WE DISCUSSED ON THE PHONE PLEASE KEEP THE 5TH OF AUGUST AS A DATE, ON OR

BEFORE THAT DATE I'LL GIVE YOU A CALL, ONCE AGAIN I AM VERY SORRY.

STAY BLESSED IN THE LORD'

Play!!
26-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I would go just to satisfy my curiosity. I'd make sure I went with someone who would look out for me and I would have a weapon on me also. Probably not a good situation to put yourself in but I'd do it. It's strange enough to do my head in so I would probably go along to see what the score was. If you can handle things as they are and don't care what he wants, then sever contact and ignore it.

kinster
26-07-2006, 12:45 PM
It's probably the guy who assaulted you who wrote that email. :)

knownothing
26-07-2006, 12:55 PM
yeh im curious and if i go i wil take a 'handy' mate who knows whos running the door and most of the doorstaff. Just not one for these type of situations but really curious.

unknown
26-07-2006, 01:33 PM
anyone who ends an email with 'STAY BLESSED IN THE LORD' must be on crack lol

your a fool if you go, why bother? just inform the relevent authorities of illegal employees lol

Play!!
26-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by unknown
anyone who ends an email with 'STAY BLESSED IN THE LORD' must be on crack lol

hahaha. Their English isn't very good. From a business point of view, if these people can create business in this country then that is proof enough for me that anyone can.

davep
26-07-2006, 02:15 PM
please go and keep us updated!! obviusly go to a very public place, and if they look weird dont introduce yourself, just walk away.

dont bring a weapon of anything like that, it provides evidence of intent, if you decide to use it... for self defense.

just bring a mate, that will do.

youve got to go though, i am (like you and many others) very very curious!!!!

god speed.

davep

MK Printing
26-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Their English is terrible. Last time I got an email like that was for someone who had lost their husband and they need my assistance to move 100million out of their country, or something to that extent.

You have made your point, now leave it at that. I would thank hom for his assistance and further contact is not required.

Matt

eimanshalash
26-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't go.

Contact the organisation yourself through their own public contacts to check whether this is legitimate or not. Tell them you are very concerned about this communication and find it rather unusual in these circumstances (in any circumstance really!)

In any case I would not go. Stay safe and trust your instinct. You have nothing to gain from this.

Play!!
26-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I agree, it would be an awfully silly thing to do. Depends what type of person you are really but I don't want to say do it because there is an aspect of danger. My sensible head tells me that there's alot more to lose than to gain so it's not a good idea but the adventurous side says plan it like the SAS and aim to get something out of it.

Saying that you could just go along to this club and check if the same guy is there. If he is, the doormen will back you up if you know them and you can have a word there. If he isn't then just question whoever is there about this company or leave it as it is.

Alternatively, you could speak to the club management about the agency they employ to run that service.

I would go along to see what this guy has to say. It is dodgey but that wouldn't bother me.

Isn't telling you that you have to pay money to him, when you don't, extortion? or attempted extortion? (if there's such a thing).

knownothing
26-07-2006, 06:23 PM
hey dave im glad you want me to risk my head for a good story. The guy who sent me that email actually does have a company registered on companies house - i did a little digging and that email he cc'd to the bar manager as well as just sending it to me. He might be curious 'cos he was a nigerian man and i was speaking a little nigerian pidgin english with him and maybe he thinks i could be useful in some way.. Hate that capital letters thing in emails coupled with terrible spelling. Don't think i am going to go though as there is nothing really to gain as people have mentioned and got 101 more worthwhile things to do - if i do go i will report back (if i can).

Princess1983
26-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I know you've said your likely not to go, but I thought I'd tell you about something that happend to a student a long time ago from my former university.

He wanted to do a hardhitting piece of journalism for a project to get a 2:1 on the degree so contacted some apparent gangs in the Midlands area and asked if he could interview them, but not use their addresses just quotes and possibly initials instead of their names etc. He also told them the piece for uni only and he wanted a top grade.

He forgot to mention that he was covering such a dangerous topic to the lecturers, who it turns out would have stopped him from going through with it.

The so-called gang were more than happy to be interviewed and arranged the meeting in a carpark after 7pm (it was November time, so would have been quote dark). The student went along, with his dictaphone, notepads etc thinking he was getting a fab story.

When he got there he was greeted by 6 lads with masks on and baseball bats. They beated him up so hard he had to call for a friend to travel down to drive him and the car back. Ofcourse he never mentioned the story to his mates either.

Turns out the gang thought he was an undercover police officer trying to expose the gang. So the moral of the story? Use your head before they use it for you.

The lad made a full recovery, got a 2:1 (by writing about the police vs gangs-the real war in the UK) and is now working for a lads mag in London. But after the attack he did say if he did it all again he would have left that story alone as it was unusual for a gang of any type to be so up for an interview but as it was "curiousity killed the cat" he couldn't just walk away from a great, gripping story.

I don't think the lad ever pressed charges, but he managed to escape with the injuries he got but no broken bits and bobs.

Turns out the CCTV's were not working that night either.

Princess

edited to add: my former lecturers tell this story to all journalism students to teach them about safety :D worked for me I tell ya

davep
26-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by knownothing
hey dave im glad you want me to risk my head for a good story.

Just agreeing to Play!!! "Yeah, I would go just to satisfy my curiosity."

and you (knownothing)..."yeh im curious and if i go i wil take a 'handy' mate "

... :(

anyway. back to business.

studentcanvas
26-07-2006, 09:07 PM
we run nights in brighton did you get the name of the sub contractor as they say they supply our area or even our clubs with attendants

knownothing
27-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by studentcanvas
we run nights in brighton did you get the name of the sub contractor as they say they supply our area or even our clubs with attendants

think i sent you an email with name and company name. Liking the student canvas site - had a similar idea years ago when all my friends at that time seemed to be artists.

JamieM
27-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Where's 'The Brute' these days? I'm sure he'd sort this all out. :D

Play!!
28-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by JamieM
Where's 'The Brute' these days? I'm sure he'd sort this all out. :D

hahah, yeah I liked him. He's been banned. I asked why but was ignored. My guess is threats to kill.