PDA

View Full Version : Well Prepared for Business?

jaks
12-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi i am doing some research into whether people between the ages of 17-21 have the inclination to and feel ready to set up their own business. The one i work for started off as a young enterprise project and has been running for nearly 10 years. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether you felt prepared by your school or your degree for starting up a business and the help and hinderances you have met along the way as a young entrepreneur.
cheers

davidwilding
12-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Well I'm 17 nearly 18 and am running my own IT company, with the second business on the way later in the year!

Along with this I do work part-time in an IT Department of another company!

And no...School or College doesnt really help set you up for running a business, its something that you have to gain with experience really...hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Cheers,
Dave.

Aled
12-07-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm 19 studying towards my LLB Hons (Law degree in other words).

I'm currently in the process of starting up my company. Ask4Help Limited www.ask4help.co.uk and www.ask4hosting.co.uk (sites down for a re-design)

It's all to do with IT Consultancy, Support. Web Dev/Design and pretty much anything to do with IT/Computing. I turned my hobbies in to a business idea.

I've had help through government initiatives in Wales. I'm also lucky with some other contacts i've got one being my uncle who already runs his business and my girlfriends father who's an accountant.

Hinderances is probably trying to keep everything kosher with the tax man. But i should be ok with that.

Jon123
12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm 17, 18 in under a month, i started when i was 16 and half, no help from goverment, i did business studies at school and alevel and found it all textbook so just long business terms etc, ansoffs matrix etc.. Nothing like the real thing, i import from the far east and have my website being designed at the moment, Grandpa's an accountant so i have had accounting help from him and built up some good business contacts in my local area.
My grandad said to me " its better for you to do business now when your young than when your old with more to risk" i have risked alot but i havent had to worry about a mortgate etc etc, now im just about ready to walk in to my own business after alevels,that i have built up over the last year.
If i had not have gone through education i think i would have still started up my business.
Essentialy business about filling a gap in the market, finding a place where you can sell your product or service and make a steady profit. You dont need a degree to do this, but you do need to find the demand for your product or service.
Jon