PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done business with eDirectory?

modesty
10-07-2006, 04:38 PM
If so could you let me know your experiences.

Cheers :-)

Belinda
10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Yes, feel free to email me at info @ chicshops . co . uk

Cheers,
Belinda

Caios
11-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I have spoken to them but I thought there "setup fee” was ridiculous. They wanted between £1500 and £2000 from me depending on the agreed commission. Personally Id rather spend that money on SEO. If they had been able to provide me with sales forecasts or something to show I would get a good return I may have been more enthusiastic. They should be happy with the commission and it’d make people more confident in things selling if they weren’t after such a large lump sum upfront.

webprojectuk
11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Personally I have not had much work from online directories however, this is not to say they will not produce for other type of businesses. I also think the set-up fee sounds high for something that might not even work.

I had a sales bloke on the phone other day – not sure which company he was phoning from. First thing he asked was – Can you take on more work? – I thought he was looking for a website. But it turned out he was selling me advertising space. He carried on to say, they have customers looking for new websites in my area, and they need me to help them out.

I asked how much? He replied - £200 (I think) + monthly cost. At first this sounded a great deal! But then it hit me! If they are so confident they can pass me leads – then surly they can offer a week’s trial period. But guess what! NO!

I asked if I could think about it and get back to him? That was not allowed either!

I offer free design examples to my new clients when requested because I am confident in my work. This same should apply to the online advertising industry. Especially as the competition is ever increasing.

Klew
19-07-2006, 04:59 PM
hello, we signed up with e-directory and so far have had one sale in six months !!

they tell me this is unheard of ! But they also say its not my product and the descriptions and prices and pictures are great???

peterleatherland
20-07-2006, 09:13 AM
They called me up the other week, I said I would do it if I could have a trial period, he wouldn't offer it. Strange that they quoted you £1500-2000 for the set up fee, they offered it to me for £500!
This would eb great if it was a good as he was saying, but I asked him what kind of sales other t shirt shops who were on it get, he said he couldn't tell me becasue it was sensitiive information and the companies wouldn't want it given out, he wouldn't even give me a rough figure without naming any companies.

I was actually still condidering it but if klew only got one sale in six months I might just give it a miss!

Sunee
20-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Surprising they charge so much when Google Base is free :)

Klew
20-07-2006, 10:30 AM
They told me the other clothing companies were raking it in when I signed up but they were big brand sites. They also can't give any info on statistics eg if people are viewing your items but not purchasing.

The one sale I have had from them when I put through my system couldn't be processed and I had to ring the customer myself for a different card number. I don't know if this is standard practice?

Maybe I've just been unlucky but i have a lot of faith in my product and i'm really surprised at the lack of sales. I even slashed my prices for a short while and still nothing.

Mind you no one I know seems to have heard of them !

karlsmith0
20-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh dear. I've just signed up with them so they had better give me more than one sale! I sell designer sunglasses and all other merchants selling sunglasses on their sell them for about £100. My price will be about £55-60 for the same products so hopefully by undercutting them it will work great!

modesty
21-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I told them I wasn't intrested. too many poeple have said negatice things about it, and the prices they quote seem to be very random so all sounds very dodgy to me.

Sunee
21-07-2006, 09:53 AM
I have never used edirectory to search for products; also I have never spotted their website appearing in my Google searches.

So I'm not sure how they can justify charging so much for set-up.

On well, they may have to lower their prices soon, as Google Base, Google Checkout, eBay Express and the new vertical search engines possibly eating into their market.

PaulC
25-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi there

As eDirectory Sales Manager, I've been following this thread with interest (obviously!).

The eDirectory online network currently contains product data from over 800 merchants. Of course, returns vary - some retailers make several hundred thousand pounds per year via ourselves, others much less. Like any other avenue, for some people it works fantastically, others not.

Whilst it's true to say that we charge an annual fee and a commission on sales, the figures I've seen quoted on this thread are very much our 'top end' prices, for huge datasets. Retailers can work with ourselves on a limited product basis, allowing them to 'test the water' so to speak without such a heavy initial outlay.

I'd be happy to discuss any eDirectory-related queries if anyone would like more info, either publicly via this forum or privately - feel free to email me or call me direct on 01229 845864.

Paul Curwen
Sales Manager
eDirectory.co.uk Plc

Klew
25-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Paul,

I'd love it if you could give me some advice on the products I sell on e-directory. Can you tell me if there's any reason you can see why my product isn't selling with you. Constructive criticism on the things I can change on e-directory ie descriptions, product, price etc please

Either online or you can email me kate@klew.co.uk

PaulC
26-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Hi Kate

I've instructed your account manager to contact you with a view to discussing ways we can help improve things for you - expect to receive an email today.

Kind regards

Paul Curwen
Sales Manager
eDirectory.co.uk Plc

peterleatherland
26-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by PaulC

Whilst it's true to say that we charge an annual fee and a commission on sales, the figures I've seen quoted on this thread are very much our 'top end' prices, for huge datasets. Retailers can work with ourselves on a limited product basis, allowing them to 'test the water' so to speak without such a heavy initial outlay.

If these are top end figures what kind of price would e Directory charge for smaller retailers with say 20 products selling at £5- £25?

PaulC
26-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi

It would depend on what level of sales commission you work on to be honest, but as a guide, we offer 'top 20' packages (i.e. restricted to a maximum of 20 products) from £395 upwards.

Note that the 'Top 20' is actually pretty flexible - you can amend your product listing as often as you wish, plus any product variables are included within your 20 (e.g. if an item is available in brown, black and red, that counts as one product, not three).

Hope this helps.

Klew
26-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Hello, just wanted to say my account mananger was very helpful this morning and gave me some very good suggestions, thanks for bringing it to her attention.

Caios
26-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Paul, don’t you think charging a much lower setup fee and just making from the commission would make us prospective clients a lot more confident in signing up. After all I was quoted £1500 and provided with no evidence that I would get a return on my investment. So I am asked to put £1500 upfront and then you take a commission on my sales. It looks to me that Id be risking £1500 and you wouldn’t be risking anything. What is the setup fee for? To cover the cost of putting the products in there correct category? If it is data related could we sort it our selves and get a reduced setup fee?

PaulC
27-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess if we did reduce our fees it may well make eDirectory more appealing to a wider range of businesses, particularly smaller businesses & startups, however I must say that we have new merchants joining every day (60% up on last year!) so that would perhaps suggest that our fee structure is not too far wide of the mark.

The fee is not simply data-related, it's a reflection of the amount of work - and therefore cost - borne by ourselves in setting up and running your account throughout the year (technical, account management, customer services, call-centre charges, CPC rates on orders generated via Kelkoo etc...). The fees we charge can basically be seen as our merchants' contribution to the (not inconsiderable!) costs borne by ourselves.

I'm pretty confident that our fees are reasonable, particularly if compared to the costs of other advertising/promotion. How much is a newspaper ad these days? Does it come with any guarantees?

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any further questions.

writemysite
27-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by webprojectuk

I asked how much? He replied - £200 (I think) + monthly cost. At first this sounded a great deal! But then it hit me! If they are so confident they can pass me leads – then surly they can offer a week’s trial period. But guess what! NO!

I asked if I could think about it and get back to him? That was not allowed either!

I offer free design examples to my new clients when requested because I am confident in my work. This same should apply to the online advertising industry. Especially as the competition is ever increasing.

I agree. I would never tell a potential client they're not allowed to think about it and get back to me. Any company with something decent to offer will let someone think it over and make a decision.

Like you with your design work, I always give my potential clients free writing samples to demonstrate the quality of my work before I ask them for money.

PaulC
01-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm a little sceptical as to whether webprojectuk's experience actually relates to eDirectory listings, in fact I'm almost certain it doesn't, for a number of reasons:

1. £200 + monthly cost is not even remotely close to any of our fees.

2. We do not 'pass leads'.

I suspect that the call relates to an online directory service called Business Classifed (this is owned by eDirectory, and I'm aware that one of the packages is £200 plus an ongoing monthly fee).

modesty
02-08-2006, 11:24 AM
£395 is still quite a lot though (well it is for me) if it was a bit lower or comission only then I probably would have signed up, and if its as good as one is making out surely you would be fighting business off with a stick??

karlsmith0
03-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I would advise everyone not to trust this company. I certainly don't. I agreed to give them a try 3 weeks ago and was advised that I could split the payments (half this month, half the next) and as soon as they receive the first payment they would upload the products. This was three weeks ago and they have done nothing at all and reckon they are now going to take legal action because I refuse to give the rest of the money to them until they fulfil their promises.
I asked to cancel and they will not let me and will not give me my money. I have asked them nicely for the money back but now I am going to have to post this message in all forums that I am a member of so that other people do not make the same mistake.