PDA

View Full Version : Linking

Yorkie
07-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi all, just launched my new business and started trading last Monday, I had a load of interest from all over even as far as Jersey and isle of man and county tyrone so word spreads quickly! Next thingI need to do as I'mnow planning my next centre is to build up my rating on the major 3 engines and Iv;e been told that I need to get links placed on sites for the web crawlers to find so if anyone is willing to help my site is www.diamondtrainingcentre.co.uk and as the saying goes scratch my back and i'll scratch yours (cant add a wink smilie for some reason but i'm winking)

p.s its a good job I spelt that right ha ha

Sunee
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
It may be worth spending more time considering your linking strategy.

Relevant complimenting links are good for both of you.
Irrelevant links do nothing, and also, if you have too many of these, you can actually lower your search engine ranking position.

Google has algorithms that try to work out what a page is about.

So if you have a reciprocal link to a tile manufacturer, Google will see this as a positive sign about your site.

If you have a reciprocal link to a toy shop, bicycle site etc.. Google may see this as trying to manipulate the rankings, so will demote you.

Edited to add; relevant linking is one reason how blogs can positively effect search engine rankings, as the blogger will be writing about something and linking to a site in context.
Like talking about flower arrangements, and then linking to a site that teaches flower arranging.
There are some good books now on Amazon about business blogging.

Yorkie
08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks sunnee, I was thinking of maybe starting a forum www.tilingforum.co.uk and have it attached to my site.

Sunee
08-07-2006, 07:55 PM
A forum is a good way of improving the search rankings :)