View Full Version : Vending

20-06-2006, 05:06 PM
If I wanted to put a vending machine outside, in a town centre, who would I approach for permission? the council? the manager of the store who's building it might be attatched to?

Also, if the machine is only small, do you think the council would allow you to attatch it onto a certain agreed 'post', in a similar way that bus timetables are attatched? or would this be a no-no from the councils point of view?

And do you think the council would want a commission on vended products?


20-06-2006, 05:09 PM
You need permission for any sort of "street furnature" from the council. This also includes birthday banners but they rarely notice. A vending machine would need some sort of written permission by the council I think.

20-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Who would you contact for this permission within the council?

And do you know if it's usually hard to obtain?

20-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Try contacting Adam Fahn *requested snip* as he may have some information for you.

20-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks Rachael. I contacted Adam earlier on today, but haven't recieved a reply yet.

20-06-2006, 07:40 PM
i e mailed him a few days ago. no reply so he may be dead, sleeping or spending his millions at the world cup.

can't remember exactly who to talk to but its either tha plannig dept or commercial services.

20-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that, ill give them a call in due course. Did you find it hard to get permission for your vending machine?

20-06-2006, 08:47 PM
He's been on msn so that rules out the dead option!

20-06-2006, 08:56 PM
extremely, because im trying to put it in a train station it has to go through a central rail track office which takes aaaaaaaaaaaages. councils pretty decent really and quick, all you need is the permissions and you're good to go, of course this depends on your council. I'm selling bike bits so they have to be nice to me or ill take it to the papers. The executive are pumpin millions into cycling and are pushing cycle commuting so if they refused permission for a genius idea like this (a first in the UK) then what that says is "we couldn't give a toss" and with elections coming up they can't really afford to say no. Mwah-ha-ha-ha!

20-06-2006, 09:03 PM
My council is obsessed with trying to make the town more suitable for tourists- so they might like my idea. If that doesn't go through, I have yet another idea for a vending machine, but i will have to approach private businesses- bars, clubs, swimming pools. All sorts.

Do you know how much commission these places usually ask for?

Oh, and you don't need any kind of licence for vending machines do you??

20-06-2006, 09:16 PM
licence has never been mentioned. Adam tell me 5% of the TO but only when the TO reaches 200 per week. May be different for other things so maybe something like 5p per vend etc. If its something touristy that you're vending then pplay it that way to the council. Even if its condoms, tell them they're british made and will give foriegn lovers the british sensation.

20-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi all

Chris, last email I have from you was on the 11th about your meeting on Wednesday. I noted it but didn't reply. Was there one after?

RSS, no email here from you, can you resend please?

The vending oracle shall now answer in order -

For permission, you would need to approach the council.

On public land it is very unlikely due to the clutter on the streets. I have dealt with a northern city council about tourism "things" but they are trying to remove street furniture and not add to it so they said no but others are considering it. If it someone's building then that is a private matter.

Councils would not take a cut.

Thanks for the mention Rachael

Spot on Chris, if they don't play ball I can send my heavies in. They are green/cycling campaigners that know what to do.

No licence as such for general vending. Insurances and so on yes but no licence.

Commissions are always a private arrangement between customer and operator (so let's not go and give the competition AKA customer any clues as to how we negotiate!)

They are rough guides on commission but I believe the site owner is a charity aren't they Chris?

The minimum TO is just to stop you having a slow week, turning over 10 and having to write a cheque and cover all expenses for 50p!

20-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the post. very interesting! What type of insurance do you usually need?

ps. I sent you a PM on the YCGI forum...

20-06-2006, 10:11 PM
aaah, yep got it now!

Not logged in all day.

public liability is a must with councils.