PDA

View Full Version : Organising your space

alisonellerbrook0
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm moving house tomorrow and one of the main reasons for this is so that I can have a room dedicated for working in (apart from a sofa bed for guests too - just so Mr Taxman knows!).

My business involves - sewing, making lampshades, postage & packaging and, of course, using the PC.

So I need a couple of work tables, a lot of shelving, an area for p&p and for the computer. I'm just in the process of planning my space and looking at storage/shelving solutions available.

I'd be interested to hear how other people (particularly those who retail online and hold stock) organise their work space and if anyone has any recommendations of where to buy reasonable shelving/storage units or any innovative ideas for maximising space.

Oh and I also need a wall mounted ironing board - cannot seem to find one for less than 100!

EmmaGould
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I really want to get this:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=68650&langId=-20&parentCats=15600*15872*16133

As i have little space at the moment in one office.

This was shown to me by a woman who own a very successfu de-cluttering styly business and is a great idea

Play!!
04-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I've been looking for a person with the time and skill to build a custom desk. I don't mind paying top dollar for one either because It will never fall apart and will probably be passed on to the next generation when I'm gone. Seems well worth the money to me. I could even have my initials inlaid into the top if I could find someone with the skill to do it. My search continues...

EmmaGould
05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Play!!
I've been looking for a person with the time and skill to build a custom desk. I don't mind paying top dollar for one either because It will never fall apart and will probably be passed on to the next generation when I'm gone. Seems well worth the money to me. I could even have my initials inlaid into the top if I could find someone with the skill to do it. My search continues...

Drop me email of what your looking for as i know someone that may be able to help.

Regards

Em

Play!!
05-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Would be wonderful if you can help. I'll send you an email later on when things are less hectic. :)

James Smith
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
One of my clients, David Gregson makes top notch furniture.

he doest have his own website, but google his name, and you will see all sorts of things he has made pop up:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=david+gregson+furniture&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Its really high quality stuff, but you will need an armful of cash to buy it!

Regards,

Play!!
06-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that James. He's quite good at what he does. Some unique furnature there. I like the idea of inlaid metals and textured effects too.

I feel a bit guilty for hijacking the thread now, sorry Alison.

For the P&P you could just get some of that laminated countertop wood that they put in kitchens. Mount that to the wall and you have a nice space to pack, it's quite cheap and you can get it in a veriety of colours to match your office. I've got one of those big cabinets that your supposed to keep china in, I keep all my current paperwork and some products in there. When the paperwork is cleared it goes into these metal containers from staples, 5 each I think. Like little filing cabinet things that stack on top of eachother. They go up in the attic for a couple of years. All the stock has it's own part of the house and is all neatly shelved by type, size and colour. I got a massive piece of laminated wood for 40 and cut it to the required size, fitted an edge and put some hidden lights behind the edge. It looks quite good for a storage/stock room if I do say so myself.

Happy moving, hope it goes smoothly.