PDA

View Full Version : Shares

knownothing
04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Anyone know any good websites with low commision to buy shares?

captainadventure
04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi

I'm assuming you're not going to be a regular trader and so are just looking for a place to make a couple of trades.

The best i know of are probably:

www.hoodlessbrennan.com

www.sharecrazy.com

It is fairly easy to find an online execution-only broker if you do not require any advice, however, be aware that with some accounts an administration fee is charged. I'm pretty sure that the 'Trading' and 'ShareCrazyTrader' accounts with the above do not incur an administration fee.

Also, you will have to pay stamp duty on the purchase of shares which will add a cost of 0.5% of the trade value.

Basically it all depends on how comfortable you are at choosing your investments and how much you are going to trade, sorry I can't be of more help.

knownothing
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
dont apologise you know a darn sight more than me on this matter and i will check those links out. Yeh it's a one off for now as no real experience with shares just been given a tip on a company floating on AIM tomorrow and after reading rich dad poor dad though i should start investing. Makes a change from my weekends failed investment in the boat race (darn oxford).

The company is going from OFEX to being listed on the AIM tomorrow if that means anything to you (it doesnt really to me) and wondered how I go about making a little short term investment.

missyven
04-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi AIM is for small, young growing companies and is a very risky investment, however if you invest you have to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth as the shares may drop in price considerably before going up

OFEX is a trading platform for unlisted securities, its a good way for small new companies to raise capital.

Shares are really for long term investments, from my experience you won't really see the benefit unless you invest from like 10-15 years?

(Pls note I am not in the industry) so this is just from what I know...

Zoe :-) Hope it helps

knownothing
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Dont worry i can handle getting stung - Very used to diginity in defeat.

missyven
04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Its just you mentioned a short term investment, and if thats what you want shares are probably not the best investment for you.

James Smith
04-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I should point out that just like the horses "getting a tip" is a good way to lose your money.

You say you don’t know much about shares - one of the classic scams is to feed a lot of good news about certain shares into the media so people buy them and the price goes up. This is obviously rather easy these days with internet forums.

The scammers already holding the shares then of course sell when the price is high and make a profit, leaving you in the lurch with worthless stocks. People who genuinely know whats going on don’t tend to tell other people about it – they keep it quiet.

If you are a complete newbie, try some of the virtual trading packages – they let you hold shares, trade and all the rest of it but using “cyber cash” as opposed to real money. It’s a good learning experience to understand the market.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

missyven
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Thats exactly what I was going to say, "tips" are often created from someone linked in some way to the company/broker, if the word gets about enough, then people will buy and the price to buy will go up, then as James explained the Shares are then sold so the broker makes a huge profit

There have been stories of brokers coming on to forums like this and planting information for their own gain.. this is highly against regulations, however some do, do it!!

captainadventure
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
As mentioned above, investing in companies listing on AIM is a risky proposition. There is no evidence to suggest that the move from Ofex to AIM would have a positive effect on the price of the shares, in fact research on this subject has shown that there is more of a trend for a decrease in the share price in the early periods.

However, in the long-term, while risky, the move to AIM opens many more opportunities for funding and therefore expansion which can serve a company well for the future.

The main problem with shares on AIM is the illiquidity of them, basically not as many people trading them so there is a bigger bid/offer spread (the difference between the buying and selling price) for these markets. This will mean you will start off with a loss to the true market value of the share and therefore it will require a higher return to see a profit.

Hope this makes some sense, if not feel free to ask questions!

knownothing
05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Well I didn't get on because to be honest it's an alien world to me and arranging it all seems problematic - intriguing as it is. My tip would probably be classed as 'insider information' though not someone passing anything on purposefully just that where i work there has been a lot of overheard conversations as some of the people i work with are the executives of the floating company. Anyway the shares have gone up 25% already which I would have been happy with but i think the adage of sticking 'to what you know' is best.

For the record I don't jump on any tip I'm passed - flippant as i might sound there is some aforethought that goes on before the hand enters the pocket and throws the money around - it's just that I am not totally reluctant to take a risk if things seem to add up (and I am also prepared to take things on the chin if things go awry - and i dont put everything on the line)

Definitely want to learn about shares though as that seems to be what 'grown ups' do.

captainadventure
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Just out of interest which company was it, i can't find anything listed on AIM that has jumped 25% and been listed today.

knownothing
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
emailed you captain if the email thingy works. Didn't wanna post it as a message above alluded to people putting names out there in forums for dodgy purposes and this thread was just for advice not a spamming adventure.

Know any good books to get some building blocks in investment? it seems like a subject worth attaining a little knowledge about.

captainadventure
05-04-2006, 11:22 AM
To get a feel for it, try this:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/pricesnews/investorcentre/knowledge/investmentfactsheets/

There is plenty of useful information on there and then once you have a basic idea you can buy more relevant books to supplement the weaker or more interesting areas.

ryanforbes
05-04-2006, 12:21 PM
www.tdwaterhouse.co.uk

i had an account with them and they were pretty reasonable

Rhys
05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
You could also try, as someone suggested a cybershare game, such as -

www.bullbearings.co.uk

It's all based on the real FTSE but you don't actually use real money.

Actually anyone fancy having a Shell Livewire league on there to see how we all do against each other?

What do you think?

captainadventure
05-04-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd be up for that, sounds like a great idea!

Move over Gordon Gekko........

knownothing
05-04-2006, 12:45 PM
yeh im up for that at least i cant lose anything and might learn a thing or two

shane74
05-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Yeah me too, sounds like a bit of fun.

Rhys
05-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi Folks

Started a new post with league details there just for those not reading this thread.

Rhys