PDA

View Full Version : What events should we attend?

tooold
21-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Here at Shell Livewire we are always looking for new and innovative ways to spread the message about entrepreneurship. We regularly attend graduate shows and enterprise shows. These are very useful events to go to; however, we would like to expand our presence and we would like to enrol your help!

What other events/gatherings should we be attending?

Remember our target age range of 16-30 must be represented at the event (although the event doesn’t have to be specifically aimed at 16-30). We're not looking for business related events - we're looking for something completely different. Ideas so far have included extreme sports shows, snow board exhibitions and music events. But there must be more!

So, where should we go? Over to you.

Thanks in advance
Fraser

AHAEvents
21-02-2006, 03:20 PM
How about an Air Day or a Navy Day!?

natasha
24-02-2006, 10:28 AM
how about the business event at london excel?

James Smith
24-02-2006, 11:45 AM
If you are wanting non-business then I would agree that music festivals would presumably be a good way to reach people. People tend to be quite relaxed, and there is a heck of a lot of them in the target age group.

The more “corporate” festivals such as the V and Reading might be the ones to target.

Other random events - the London to Brighton cycle ride has a lot of younger people joining in each year although this goes across all age groups. I used to go *cough* years ago when I was a teenager. Not quite sure how you would reach people however as it is by definition rather strung out, although there are several official rest stops on route.....the ride itself is in the aid of chartity so I think they are quite keen on sponsorship which might fit in with Corporate Shell being a "green" activity.

Rachael
24-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by natasha
how about the business event at london excel?
Or the same show in Birmingham

elaborations
08-03-2006, 04:22 PM
university career fairs

dmjarvis
10-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm new here, and will put some profile details up later today. In the meantime I can contribute to this thread....
I have just built a website for an organisation in Swindon that will show all business networking events in a particular region. It is initially launched in Swindon, which is where most of the content is at the moment, but is being rolled-out across the UK as we speak.
If you fancy checking it out, go to http://swindon.gluedin.com.

natasha
11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Also any type of trade fairs, for example there is the beauty show at olympia and excel, plus birmingham.
Lots of students and others there that want to run their own businesses.

happymarky123
27-03-2006, 08:20 PM
The Motor Show is at Excel this year too, great for prospective car dealers and garage mechanics looking to start up their own business...possibly!

Mark

nick.martin
18-04-2006, 03:28 PM
BUSC

WorldWide Import & Export
18-04-2006, 07:13 PM
UCAS mailshot?

..DN..
27-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Nick you been to Busc?
Just curious, had some great times with it over the years.

nick.martin
27-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Yep, its fantastic. I noticed a while ago on your website that you did work with Edinburgh on their BUSC '07 bid, I see it went well. ;)

Hey wait - is that you over on the Busc boards? Thats pretty mint if it is you.

10Yetis
27-04-2006, 01:35 PM
hmm, mods... not sure if I can post this?
Sorry if it causes offence
Another business forum is holding its first networking event for entrepreneurs..

go see

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17743

..DN..
28-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Small world Nick! It is me on the busc board occassionally. Used to be involved a lot in busc - was on the exec board etc then went on to rep for wasteland the tour op.
Funny how many busc folk pop up at Livewire stuff! - seams quite a stong connection and busc folk have done well in the livewire awards, I got the Edinburgh Lothian award in 2005, the 2004 UK national winner ran busc http://www.shell-livewire.org/awards/main.php?catid=41&subcatid=&artid=1088777902.388
as did the 2003 UK national runner up http://www.shell-livewire.org/profiles/?industryid=2&artid=1057656253.592

Must be the mountain air that inspires people to set up for themselves!

Yeah, did the Edinburgh Busc bid packs for them and gave advice on content. Good they got it as know there stuff so will put on great events.

Cheers for now,

DN ;-)

bonifacegumbo
11-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I agree with Natasha try EXCEL London,excel birmingham shows ,eg off price shows.
When you attend these gatherings you will be amazed at how much contacts you can get from project ideas,supplies,marketing experts,and other usefull links.Doing this alone gave me access to an essential link that is now supplying my DVD supplies for my new HOT product showing:-
How to Create Video & DVD Specifically for the Purpose of Selling on the Internet featuring a man selling 500 CDs/DVDs a month on eBay from home.
For a quick view of the package check now by visiting

http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=393603

Have you considered joining www.businesslink.gov.uk it provides useful information. The internet as well can help you on locating these events

The following example site to show how the internet can help is for cambridgeshire search by location and day of event.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/event?r.li=1077150355&site=34&r.s=a

Hope that was of great help

whisper
24-05-2006, 01:22 PM
how about those events where they have career people and all the universities handing out bags and books and stuff? they are held in uni's.

Jby2kn2
09-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Maybe try linking up with 'Young Enterprise', since that is mainly targeted at young people. Alot of them who take part are very intrested in becoming self employed.

natalieencarnita
20-06-2006, 04:05 PM
graduate fashion week would be brilliant. unfortunately it was a few weeks ago and is an annual event, at battersea park in london. worth looking at for next year maybe?

Princess1983
20-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Mods and fellow posters,

Does anyone know of any events happening in the Midlands area soon that would be worth going to? I'm thinking along the lines of freebie events!

Princess

webitnet
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
There is a UKBF event happening in London this Thursday (Mods please remove if this causes offence)

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20872

Regards
DC

Kandiman
13-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by tooold
Here at Shell Livewire we are always looking for new and innovative ways to spread the message about entrepreneurship. We regularly attend graduate shows and enterprise shows. These are very useful events to go to; however, we would like to expand our presence and we would like to enrol your help!

What other events/gatherings should we be attending?

Remember our target age range of 16-30 must be represented at the event (although the event doesn’t have to be specifically aimed at 16-30). We're not looking for business related events - we're looking for something completely different. Ideas so far have included extreme sports shows, snow board exhibitions and music events. But there must be more!

So, where should we go? Over to you.

Thanks in advance
Fraser

Not that I can guarentee a huge crowd, but you'd be more than welcome at any of my pro wrestling events. 16-30 is slap-bang in the middle of my target demographic, and most wrestling fans are very business minded. Drop me an e-mail to anarchypromoter@googlemail.com and we can see what we can come up with.

jackieb
19-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Fraser,

I think you should go along to the http://www.womeninbusinessseminars.co.uk/ event in central London next Friday 28th. Let people know what Shell live-wire is all about and spread the word - you do great work!

thickchick
16-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys - thanks for all your suggestions so far

Still looking for alternative events that we can attend -

Are there any mini music festivals or skateboard comps or the like in your area that you know of?

Sharon

Princess1983
16-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Sharon,

not sure if this is something you'd want to attend put theres the "fusion" festival for Stoke-on-Trent/Staffordshire its the biggest one hear and has music, stalls etc etc etc.

Princess

thickchick
16-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Cheers Princess - missed it this year but definitely one for next year.

AlexShelton
29-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Anyone going to attend the Event on the 1st November at Norwich Footy club? . Alex :) .

BiteLyte
04-10-2006, 11:00 PM
How about an event where you tour the colleges and universities of england all over the country holding meetings etc

Weirfire
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Search Engine Strategies seems to be a huge event for those with websites

• SES Paris: Nov. 28-29, 2006
• SES Chicago: Dec. 4-7, 2006
• SES London: Feb 13-15, 2007
• SES New York: April 10-13, 2007

http://www.searchenginestrategies.com/

Pub Con is also on in Las Vegas next week

http://www.pubcon.com/

sweetmandarin
19-12-2006, 12:11 AM
* Sweet Mandarin are supporting all those interested in being their own boss through a series of networking events.
* These events are specifically aimed at start up businesses who are thinking about starting or have just started in business.
* Join us for awesome networking, inspirational speakers and top business information.

DATES:

Tuesday 3rd January 2007 - New Start - New Direction - The Beginning
Tuesday 9th January 2007 - New Start - New Direction - The Middle
Tuesday 16th January 2007 - New Start - New Direction - The End
Tuesday 23rd January 2007 - New Start - New Direction - Business Plan

TIME:
12noon - 2pm

Lunch at 12noon - 12.30pm
Speaker 12.30pm - 1.00pm
Networking 1.00pm - 2.00pm

PRICE:
£15 includes lunch, inspirational speakers and excellent networking opportunities.

HOW TO BOOK:

Places are limited so book at sweetmandarin@gmail.com or call 0161 832 8848
www.sweetmandarin.com

DON'T MISS THESE AMAZING EVENTS!!!

cutem
04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I'd got to Barcamp later on this month. https://barcamp.pbwiki.com/Barcamp%20Ireland%20-%20SouthEast

chris_dillon10
27-02-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd definitely like their to be nationwide tours and things like this. Maybe I don't look hard enough but I can't find many business/entrepreneurship fairs in Liverpool for example :S Unless anyone can point me in the direction of any lol.

irishnutter
30-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by chris_dillon10
I'd definitely like their to be nationwide tours and things like this. Maybe I don't look hard enough but I can't find many business/entrepreneurship fairs in Liverpool for example :S Unless anyone can point me in the direction of any lol.

hi yes ia agree this is a major problem as i live in preston was due go to the franchise fair in london as franchising is going to support a major slice of my business but with working 5 nights a week and sometimes 6 i wasnt able to get down so will have to travel to the one in glasgow in june

Mike.C
30-04-2007, 08:16 PM
we run a networking group with a difference...

i.e we trying to do it to benifit the business that come along and not for our own profits!

irishnutter
30-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Mike.C
we run a networking group with a difference...

i.e we trying to do it to benifit the business that come along and not for our own profits!

hi mike bit similar to my idea for a non profit purpose

Mike.C
30-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Thats kinda what we are trying to do here in Yorkshire, yeah we will be charging a membership of £120 but that gets you access to every group in the region and is only charged to help us cover our costs etc.

Its pretty good when you compare it to the average breakfast group membership of between £300 and £500 for membership to just one group!

There will also be other incentives, discounts and freebies, all designed to help businesses network more cost effectively throughout the Yorkshire region...

irishnutter
30-04-2007, 08:42 PM
seems very good a big well done to ya all :)

Mike.C
01-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks!

its going really well so far, just need to get in touch with a few more Yorkshire based businesses!

irishnutter
01-05-2007, 04:48 PM
im sure ya will in time build a repuatation and that il actually enquire with my dad on ideas to how to get recognition for ya as he works for a staff training organisatinon within the healthcare of northern ireland but on the business side and covers a vast range of different conferences and stuff for companies etc i ask him and find out more may be of help and maybe not but worth a shot none the less.

Mike.C
01-05-2007, 06:17 PM
yeah that would be great thankyou!

NatasahR
05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
i would suggest looking on the webistes

http://www.eco.co.uk/

http://www.necgroup.co.uk/

http://www.excel-london.co.uk/en/

or any other cconference and events centre site. That way you can search the type of event you are looking for...be it from beauty to proprty to fireplaces to top end business events

hope that helps

Mike.C
07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
sounds like good advice to me!

jetpop85
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, I agree with NatasahR. http://www.excel-london.co.uk/en/ quite regularly hosts events and seminars geared towards small businesses. I

I went for on in April, organised by the Bstartup Team, and it was a great success. They had Stelios of EasyJet and Easy-everything else speak, together with a few other sucessful entrepreneurs I can't remember them all now... They have another one in September at the London Olympia. Check out www.bstartup.co.uk

silverleaf
16-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by nick.martin
BUSC

I agree, lots of students.
Having attended BUSC (British Universities Snowsports Championships) I would say that the message you put across would have to be just right as the general attitudes held by the majority of attendees are anti-capitalist.

Cheers

The Money Whisperer
17-08-2007, 12:10 PM
If an event can be organised and sponsored, where would be a suitable location and how many interested entrepreuners would attend if it were held on a weekend?

ar40
16-09-2007, 10:11 PM
You could try art/design fairs where people who just graduated go, like New Designers in Business Design Centre. There are usually a lot of graduates from loads of uni's here who want to have their own business.

MAL87
29-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Get to the air hog championships. I'll be there n it b great to shell live wire there to DX

happyface
02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
the nec web site holds many new shows, you can also have a look at old shows as well, you give you an idear what the visit count was like

all the best

www.mandy4444.co.uk

GauravM
13-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Midlands!

Redbandit
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
perhaps the job centre plus and community centres in the poorer areas of the country. The community centre close to me used to (and might still) have film nights. An entrepreneurship film might go down well and would attract those that are genuinly interested in starting their own business. It would also be a very positive thing for the areas and for those that believe you need money to start a business.

How about hanging around sports and shopping centres and places were young people hang out like skate parks, megabowl etc... There's a lot of young paople that have great ideas, but wouldn't think of taking the first step unless you aproach them first.

Also, If I were back at school I would have benfited from having entrepreneurship introduced to me, as it was never introduced through the curriculum.

realbusiness
17-03-2008, 12:06 PM
You might want to check out the Entrepreneurs' Summit. There are some great young entrepreneurs speaking: Oliver Bishop from Steak Media, for example. Also, the heavyweights are out in force - people like James Cann and Grant Bovey. They will have some really useful tips for entrepreneurs.

It's on 15th April. Here's all the details -

http://www.realbusiness.co.uk/EventSites/Entrepreneurs-Summit/index.thtml

cvjust4u
25-10-2008, 02:46 PM
haev a look at nec.group web site, it gives full listing of shows, that may give you some idears