PDA

View Full Version : onegirloneyear.co.uk

ghostwriter05
18-02-2006, 10:43 PM
I know that previously the "girl" came on this site to inform us of this website but I see that it has been recently re-launched. I know some people dont like people trying to cover their debts in this way but nevertheless I love the way that this girl is going for this and the way that she has developed the site. Just wanted to shout out to say, 'nuf respect to onegirloneyear.co.uk

unknown
18-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I dont think people should be applauding this, whats the big deal?? someone creating a 'begging' website, it's the same as begging on the streets. The annoying thing is some people probably make a living from this rubbish, the fact is after someone has made there fortune do you think they will give a donkey poop about whoever gave them that money or about people who actually NEED the money, I think not, so dont promote this sort of cobblers!

ghostwriter05
18-02-2006, 11:15 PM
It is not for me or anyone else to judge whether someone will give a damn about the people who have given them more. Again, if people are coming up with creative ideas like this girl, because she has realised that she may have done things wrong before and wants to now work hard in order to pursue a home, a wedding and a family. Yes, too right I applaud that and those are values that deserve to be applauded, in my humble opinion.

unknown
18-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Creative Ideas? now you are taking the mikey, what's creative about begging for money????

this is basically what the website is about:

"Oh, hello everyone, I went to Uni and spent too much money on booze and drugs, can you give me money to pay off my other debts please before the Bailiffs come knocking?"

there is nothing creative about this rubbish, we could all put a begging website up and ask for money, but I prefer to work for my money so it means something! it's all a load of complete cobblers and I hope she dont do it!!!

ghostwriter05
18-02-2006, 11:45 PM
If you looked at the site you would see that she is not begging, she specifically states 'I am not asking for handouts'. Anyway, we all develop in our creativity, I would prefer that she had a go and went into it and then realise that this was not the best way of doing it, or that it could change and alter to do it another way or whatever, you learn and grow and at least she has got off her **** to start something that would gain momentum and build and it is that I respect. The are many people that just dont bother so yeah, respect to her.

Play!!
18-02-2006, 11:48 PM
I agree with Ghost. She is in the minority or people actually trying to fix their situations and taking some sort of action. I respect that too because I know how easy it is not to do anything.

I wouldn't be to happy if you quoted my site like that. I might be looking into a case of libel as we speak.

Libel
a false and malicious publication printed for the purpose of defaming a living person.

I don't agree with begging though. Most of these beggers play on peoples emotions to get then to hand over cash. Thats just wrong in my opinion.

shane74
19-02-2006, 12:07 AM
But saying that, she's not actually come up with anything new or dynamic has she? She's just stolen other peoples idea's and thrown them onto a website. A rip-off of the million dollar homepage (which is rather boring now in itself) and then pay two pounds to join a club in order to get a crappy little badge with a number on it and 12 newsletters a year. I just think it's feeble and she could at least come up with something thats a bit better. It's nice that she's trying, good on her for that but it's like she's trying to sell a damp mouldy sofa for the retail price outside DFS that she found in a skip. Why would people want that when there are better sofa's in the store at better prices?

Sorry to be harsh but I'm in no mood for being nice.

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 12:11 AM
That's a bit harsh. She is developing and who isnt, surely we are all at different stages of development. To start with her website was not very good, so she developed it and I assume that her ideas will develop but at least she has started. Man I would rather start and see something develop than do nothing but - loads of people have developed their product and their brand, they started somewhere. She has started, surely thats a good thing?

unknown
19-02-2006, 12:17 AM
OK, try this:

I need money, would everyone give me a quid so I can make a grand next month so I can pay my mortgage? anyone wanna help out? lol yeh right, give me a break people, you lot really NEED to wake up

shane74
19-02-2006, 12:18 AM
I did say sorry for being harsh did I not?

Yes, I said it's good that she's started and is trying. I just think she should try a little harder and come up with something better. If you want a bowl of spaghetti, why eat it cold when sticking it in the microwave only takes an extra couple of minutes?

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 12:20 AM
yeah you did - fair enough.

Yeah microwave is better but I think it is great to see people grow, develop and encourage them to get to that stage, not knock them for it.

unknown
19-02-2006, 12:23 AM
from her site:

HOW YOU CAN HELP ME...

After deciding that I wanted to pay my debts off in a year, I realised that I didn't have a clue where to start! If there was an obvious answer maybe people would do it all the time...
Hence this website.

----> I'm not asking for handouts <----, just as much help as possible!

However random it might be - yours might be the idea to help me out.

NOT asking for handouts?? LOL thats EXACTLY what your doing, you cant convince me that this idea should be applauded, so what she's doing something about it, so are most of us by working our butts off 7 days a week, do we get applauded? no most of us dont, the only way to stop this sort of rubbish is to not give money to them, but alot of people have more money than sense so will send money, argh!! this annoys me, go get a job you lazy person LOL

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Firstly, she does have a job.

Secondly, I am not trying to convince you that she should be applauded, I am saying that I respect her for at least getting off her ass.

Thirdly, I dont think anyone has the right to call a person who they dont know 'lazy'.

Judging by the previous posts that you have placed on this forum, including asking commission to sell other peoples clothes you seem to be trying things too - like she is, dont knock it.

shane74
19-02-2006, 12:49 AM
You know I'm not trying to knock her for trying, I just think she could have thought about things a bit longer and come up with something on a higher level. Raise her game so to speak.

unknown
19-02-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by ghostwriter05
Firstly, she does have a job.

Secondly, I am not trying to convince you that she should be applauded, I am saying that I respect her for at least getting off her ass.

Thirdly, I dont think anyone has the right to call a person who they dont know 'lazy'.

Judging by the previous posts that you have placed on this forum, including asking commission to sell other peoples clothes you seem to be trying things too - like she is, dont knock it.

yeah? I'm not exactly gonna sell other peoples products for FREE, LOL dont be stupid lol, Instead of her saying I'm in debt and need 10K blah blah blah why dont she start a business?? if she's not trying to beg for money why mention that she has all these debts to pay?? whether you agree with me or not, I know the reason she mentioned about her debts etc.. because she wants ppl to GIVE her money, i.e. donations even if she doesnt actually state it, it's obvious

kinster
19-02-2006, 01:04 AM
ghostwriter05 if you like these sites so much why don't u just create one?

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 01:04 AM
You know the reason why she stated what she did. You have no idea whatsoever, unless you are her. I dont think that we need to be judgemental of people who are at least trying to be creative, even if their creativity is different to theirs. Who am I to say that my idea is better than hers? I am not. I also have no right to assume the reasons that anyone has put what they have put on their website even if I think it is 'obvious'.

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Kinster - I have no need to set up a site like this. My interest is not in 'this site' or 'a site like this'. My interest is in the attitude of how we should be encouraging people, not knocking them back because WE think that their idea will not work, or WE think that they should be more creative. I just tdont see the need.

shane74
19-02-2006, 01:07 AM
I think she's just being honest by saying about the debt, it puts a spin on things. Makes her stand out from the crowd. Nothing wrong with that.

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 01:09 AM
I agree Shane, at least she is being honest.

kinster
19-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Kinster - I have no need to set up a site like this. My interest is not in 'this site' or 'a site like this'. My interest is in the attitude of how we should be encouraging people, not knocking them back because WE think that their idea will not work, or WE think that they should be more creative. I just tdont see the need.

Well, we all encourage people on here, but you seem to be just posting 'these' kind of sites.

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Over the past few days yeah, but in my day to day work i encourage anyone who has a dream and has enough courage to get off their ass and do something about it!

kinster
19-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Over the past few days yeah, but in my day to day work i encourage anyone who has a dream and has enough courage to get off their ass and do something about it!

stating the obvious there. Everyone who is on here has a dream and is currently pursuing or has done it. They don't start posts about 'get rich' Websites.

mattley23
19-02-2006, 10:03 AM
I think her website is quite funny, fair play to her if she pays off her debt.

At the end of the day people dont have to visit her site, buy her stuff, donate cash or buy adverts do they?

Each to their own in my book

unknown
19-02-2006, 03:38 PM
yeh, i agree with you there mattley, but doesnt it annoy you (it does me) that her website is a blatant begging website, it's completely obvious!!! lol "Help me, I have a 10K debt" LOL anyone who mentions their debts is begging, lol it would be different if she said Im going to start a business in whatever, but it's not actually a business, grrrrrr.... this stuff annoys me

jamesrw
19-02-2006, 10:00 PM
she says she has been rubbish with money, thats my problem? shes gone out and had a good time without thinking about the consequences and is asking others to bail her out. shocking.

ghostwriter05
19-02-2006, 10:04 PM
But surely the fact that she realises that and there an amount of guilt over that is a good thing. We have all done things 'wrong' she is now just wanting to put some of those things right, a good call, isnt it?

jamesrw
19-02-2006, 10:08 PM
when you scrape each month, trying to be as careful as you can with money to stay in the black, when you would like to buy things, and to go places but you restrain yourself because you know you cannot afford it or don't want to borrow money.

when people disregard the consequences, and borrow more than they can afford, they should learn their lesson by sorting it out themselves surely?

at least that way they will learn the true value of money - which is a very important lesson of life in my opinion - in that every penny has to be earned.

mattley23
19-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by unknown
yeh, i agree with you there mattley, but doesnt it annoy you (it does me) that her website is a blatant begging website, it's completely obvious!!! lol "Help me, I have a 10K debt" LOL anyone who mentions their debts is begging, lol it would be different if she said Im going to start a business in whatever, but it's not actually a business, grrrrrr.... this stuff annoys me

Yeah I know what you mean, it does kind of smack of begging which is why I wont be buying owt, or advertising.

I guess people do what they have to to get through life and cope financially, if she feels begging via a website is the right thing to do then so be it, people will probably see it for what it is and just scan the site and leave. However I would have preferred it of she had started some sort of business to raise finance, I would have respected her a little more.

On the flip side she'll probably get alot of kudos from ex students though which is where she'll make some cash if any.

JustOneUK
20-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Play!!
I agree with Ghost. She is in the minority or people actually trying to fix their situations and taking some sort of action..

you are right, let's all do it.....

;)

natasha
20-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I've said this before about one girl one year, it's good that she's decided to admit her debt and deal with it.
A lot of people rack up all this debt and never pay it back, some people make token payments of 1a month for the rest of their life's, others claim bankruptcy and never pay a penny back six years down the line they are debt free!! :shock:

So its great that she's trying to do something about it and pay it back.
There are lots of people in debt, and people struggeling to pay it back, but they all keep quiet!
I bet if you started asking people how much debt they are in excluding their mortgage you would be suprised!

There are lots of people on the money saving expert forums
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ that are all working really hard to pay back their debts, its not just about making more money, its about living within and below your means, saving money, not impulse buying- only buy things you really need!
And its also about trying to save money on the everyday things you need to pay for like your mortgage,insurance, telephone, gas,electric,etc....

To be honest i dont think she has made the most of the past 6 months and i think she needs to be taking all the above into account too, i think she's focusing too much on the website and i dont think its going to make her thousands.

Forget about cold spagetti and mircowaving it,:D LOL it tastes much better when its fresh.... thats what she needs a fresh look on the whole situation.

I wish her the best of luck!

Rachael
20-02-2006, 12:50 PM
She isn't being creative at all:

www savekaryn.com

She was the original and many little sheep followed in her path - just like the milliondollarhomepage.

I personally don't see how following can be classed as creative. I want to pay my debts off in a year too but I won't be asking people over the internet because who wants to be bothered?

Just look at the pictures on her website they are a copy of on the original.

In my opinion - its boring.

unknown
20-02-2006, 01:15 PM
ah good, someone who doesnt think she's some sort of creative genius LOL, the way alot of people on this forum go on about 'one girl' as being 'creative' makes you think she's some sort business guru.

I can't believe savekaryn actually has books out about her 'begging' that is truely pathetic, I have debts etc... but I dont go around asking people to pay them off for me by giving me a 'donation', although i would like to, that goes against my principles.

I wish people DIDNT give money to this people, it just fuels the situation for other people to try their luck, I can't believe some people actually give these money, damn, what a world we live in!! :(

ghostwriter05
20-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah I knew of the save Karyn site. The thing is, in my opinion, onegirl is being creative within her means... we can always look on and say that is not creative, people are doing that / have done that. In fact you could trowl through a number of websites on here and say thats not original, thats been done before, thats a copycat. Firstly, who am I to say that what they are doing is not creative. Secondly, my point is that creativity starts somewhere and grows so yeah at least she is getting off her ass doing something, she is trying and she is refining as she goes and if it does not work at the end at least she will know why it didnt work and she will have learnt a whole host of things in order to develop and do things better.

Lets be honest there are versions of milliondollarhomepage which are just a different twist, but essentially the same thing. They are not very good and they are getting no buyers. But at least it has started the creativity thinking.

But yeah, as has been raised there is the issue of 'the quick buck'. I value creative ideas (even if it is creative only to that person) and they learn and they grow but they stick with it and work hard, put time and effort in.

There are other ideas that ask the audience to give money to buy an ipod, they buy the ipod and smash it in the store... why? Is this creative?

There is the www.givemeag5.com asking people to give him money to give him a G5 and if he gets the money in he will smash up his old G4 and stick the video online. Is that creative? He is getting the money in but could he not give the G4 to someone else, but then that would not provide the entertainment in order to see people to send money in.mmhh.

unknown
20-02-2006, 02:38 PM
fair enough, but your not going to convince myself or alot of people that her idea is CREATIVE, it's just a cheek to ask for money to clear her spending problem.

I tried starting up a charity to help raise funds for people who need operations but cant afford because they REALLY dont have the money, like sick children etc... but no one was interested, I emailed newspapers, no one gave a donkies behind, but OH these people who BEG for money to pay off DEBTS get all the press coverage and support in the world, thats why this world is so s*h*i*t*t*y because most people are so damn stupid, they will give money to people who want to buy ipods etc... it's pathetic

Play!!
20-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I didn't say anything about being creative, just that what she's doing is better than nothing.

Over the past year I've given more than the original 10% I had planned to charity. Childrens Hosp, St Johns Ambulance, the earthquake in Pakistan and childline are the ones I've chosen to give my money to. I've only ever given a begger, of any type, something once and that was 2 bigmacs. My point being it is up to the person who is willing to give money away to pick the ones who are worthy. A begger on the street dosn't deserve the money I work hard for but every one I listed above does. The thing that gets me with beggers and homeless people is that they choose to live that way and most choose to waste what little money they have on things they don't need. In my mind beggers are scamming me if I give them money because it will end up all over a wall by the end of the night, whereas a charity will use the money to benefit people who don't choose their situation and maybe have no way of sorting it out themselfs.

Anyone else feel the same, or different, about this?

onegirl
20-02-2006, 03:33 PM
I look at this site nearly every day and I really didn't expect all of this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's quite odd to read stuff with people slagging me off! I know when you put anything on the internet that it's open to critisism though, so fair play - I can't complain!

I'm not claiming to be a creative genuis and I don't think my site is anything amazing. But it's honest... I'm in debt and I want to try and get out of it as quickly as possible. I know lots of people are in debt and I don't see myself as any more special than them - and if people don't like my site or think it's a load of rubbish, then that is fair enough.
I work full time, so it's not that I'm lazy. And I'm really not asking for handouts - even if it might look that way.

The pixel stuff has been done to death, but someone offered to install it for me and I didn't see any reason why not to. People have been paying to advertise on sites for years, so it's an obvious option when you have a website.

I completely agree that I've wasted a lot of the last 6 months. I've done bits and pieces, but definitely not enough... Hence changing the site and trying to get my **** in gear for the next 6 months!

Rachael
20-02-2006, 04:37 PM
No one was 'slagging' you off. We were dicussing your 'idea'.

JamieM
20-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't see any problem with the site or the idea. Laura isn't asking for anyone to pay off her debts, she is simply asking for some help and advice about how she can make money.

She has some revenue producing ideas in place like affiliate programs and is selling some products. What is the problem with that?

The only real difference I can see is that Laura is being honest and up front about why she is doing it and what her goals are.

Personally, I wish you all the best Laura. I'm sure you'll do the 10k.