PDA

View Full Version : Website review

nemesis
13-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys

could you have a look at www.cafe-lan.com and let me know what you think?

a new site for our cafe in aberdeen. any constructive critisism is more than welcome :)
cheers

artmaison
14-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Hi took a look at your website. Content seems to be good but layout could do with straightening out.

Instead of telling you what i mean i took the liberty of moving some bits around. You can view what i have done here,

www.artmaison.co.uk/example.html

I just think it would look better if the style you have used on your content pages ran the whole way through to the homepage.

Also I believe its worth having the contact details available on the homepage to reduce any unwanted navigation on the users behalf (I kno its only one click but that could be the difference in custom or no custom!)

Hope this helps towards your final product,

Good luck

Lee

kaizenpromotions
14-02-2006, 12:59 AM
great advice & I fully agree with the change of layout.

as said before, good content.

Good luck

chriso
14-02-2006, 11:10 AM
I realise that some designers diagree with it, but have you noticed that your site can't be viewed in 600 x 800 resolution, and isn't accessible to HTML 4.01? Have a look at http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cafe-lan.com for the areas you might need to have a look at.

Given the market you're aiming for I realise that you might not be overly concerned with this, but given that it is a legal requirement, it's something you may want to give some thought to.

Best of luck.

nemesis
14-02-2006, 05:08 PM
thanks guys. will get the web guy onto it now. i agree with the opening logo. too overbearing. I would prefer to keep the rollover where possible but ill see what he can do

as for the text. does anyone have a suggestion as to how to make it look better? at the moment i get the impression theres just too much text. i dont know how to suggest he fix it though.

openmind
14-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by sarah1979
I realise that some designers diagree with it, but have you noticed that your site can't be viewed in 600 x 800 resolution, and isn't accessible to HTML 4.01? Have a look at http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cafe-lan.com for the areas you might need to have a look at.

Given the market you're aiming for I realise that you might not be overly concerned with this, but given that it is a legal requirement, it's something you may want to give some thought to.

Best of luck.

Just to clarify it isn't a legal requirement for your site to validate against the W3C guidelines, although it is highly recommended.

It is a legal requirement to offer a minimum level of accessibility to a user though. Getting to your site to validate to at least XHTML Transitional will satisfy most of the basic requirements...

I totally agree on the point about the 800x600 res as would 20% of Internet users ;)

Source: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/February/res.php

XS Developments
14-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I would consider making the top half of your page (the logo/title bit) smaller. The whole lot ... just shrink it.

If you can make the top bit align up with the bottom half (currently it juts out to the right), then it would tidy it up enormously.

If your title becomes too small, think about perhaps having it occupy 2 of your 4 horizontal bar slices?

I think it would look a bit neater if you increased the spacing between your text "columns" just a bit (it's a wee bit jammed together) - also make sure they line up with the photos.

Maybe think about putting a border around the photos (only needs to be a thin dark gray line) - this will sharpen things up!

Use only photos, or only clipart - you've got a mixture of photo's and generic clipart ... try and keep the different elements consistent.

I personally prefer your sub-page "gaming centre". You've got a good logo, and you can see it properly on this page ... plus the title is much clearer. Think about using this style all over the site.

If you really want to have your logo big ... maybe making it very feint and slightly blurry, and using it as a page background - I think that could work ??

hope that helps

Jim

niuserre
15-02-2006, 06:45 AM
No one seems to have mentioned the problem of viewing without images so I thought I'd bring it up.

If users are browsing with images switched off then the site becomes rather bare. While it is possible to navigate you could use some title tags or similar for the main images so that you have a text version of the title rather than a whole lot of white space.

Incidently, the site is scrolling horizontally in my browser (firefox) even though I'm in a 1024x768 res.

Good luck with fixing it up!

Niu

knownothing
16-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Just had a quick glance

I see most of the comments focuses on layout but I would have a bash reworking the wording:

'We're not called Cafe-LAN for no reason either'

Not sure if its me but it just sounds wrong.

Good luck