PDA

View Full Version : Accounting Software

Maz
03-02-2006, 05:18 PM
We are now getting to the point where we need to get some accounting software in-house so we can effectively see cashflow and forecasts. We know the industry standard is Sage and Quickbooks but our accountant uses TAS Books.

Has anyone heard of this accounting package and is anyone using it?

We're a little concerned that this software is unknown and therefore will not provide us with everything we need.

chriso
03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Maz,

I can't say I use it myself, but as a provider of software, why not contact them and ask for a free trial or demo to see what it does and if it's suitable for your business.

Most software companies would be happy to provide you with a demo of their software.

Hope that helps.

openmind
03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Never heard of it either which would concern me slightly as the vast majority of accountants will use Sage o Quickboks as they know that's what most of their clients will have...

Maz
03-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys and girls.

Any accountants have an opinion?

visagephoto
03-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I've never used it.

But it's been around for years.

Alan

James Smith
03-02-2006, 06:14 PM
From an accounting point of view I belive its ok, but it would be like buying an obscure make of car as opposed to something mainstream. It might work for you and even have some natty features but it will always be a bit of a pain to get a service.

I donít see what is wrong with QB regular myself, but then some accountants swear by SAGE, while I generally swear at it.

Btw are you sure you 'accountant' is actually a really a proper Chartered Accountant (ICAEW or ACCA) as opposed to a bookkeeper who knocks out the odd tax return? They should be able to cover the main packages if they pick such an obscure one as the preferred practice software. I manage to cover QB, SAGE and MYOB and its only a PT assistant and myself.

crkian
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
MYOB all the way for me as well, the team behind it are as good as the software

Adam
03-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I am glad this is being discussed as I am having some problems getting my head around MYOB.

I collect money (cash) from machine. I need to record where it came from but also need to note that is from a coin operated machined. I then need it to show I have lets say £300 in "cash bags" and is therefore in my safe.

Then when I have collected from a few machines I want to take say £1,000 from my cash bags and transfer them to the bank.

I also have some sites where they are on "free vend" and the site gets invoiced once a month. While the same thing happens, that I either get paid cash or a cheque and pay the money in to the bank, I would like my end accounts to show these as two different things.

Do I use nominal accounts for this?

Another part of my business supplies ingredients on a wholesale basis and again I would like to record this as a third major income stream.

Am I right in thinking I should set up "customers" for each site and then pretend I have invoiced them for the sales or just put it in as a transaction?

I need to be able to look up a site/customer and see what I have taken in for a period but also look at all my coin operate sited, free vend sites, flavia sales and so on.

Can I pay someone to help me set this up? What would it cost or as I have yet to buy the full version could a reseller help me get going in return for making the sale?