PDA

View Full Version : Marketing: Have the leaflets...where to put

swoppershop
16-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi, I made a previous question some time ago, regarding my company, swoppershop...http://www.swoppershop.com

I have got 10,000 leaflets now printed and 400 a4 posters, 5,000 of which are aimed at students and the other 5,000 aimed at business, to be cost effective where would the best place to put these leaflets be? and any other cost effective marketing, as the service benefits the environment is there anything that I can take advantage of?

If you would like more information, please ask.

annepink
17-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi If its business people you want to reach I would check with Business Link whether they are any 'business'events on' and pop along and leave some on the cofee tables Also there are usually 'buisness parks' and office blocks shared by lots of small buisnesses these often have either a shared reception area or even a 'coffee lounge' where perhaps you could levave leaflets.

Looking at your site you are in the same game as e bay and I would have thought you could get some ,news, interest from the feature departments if regional Daily papers. commercial raido stations etc perhaps you should create a press release (or if your business is relativley new the Business team often do stories on new entrepreneurs)

You could also give some thought to businesses who may benefit from a mutual web link (loan companies to name one Im sure you could do better!)

good luck

swoppershop
17-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi anne,

I will definately check out Business Link, and attend some events, the businesses I want to target, are the ones that target students, or catch student interest, like fashion stores, technology shops etc.

Swopper Shop.com allows swapping on the store as well as auctioning and selling at fixed price, putting up wanted advertisements etc, the extra features should help us in the marketing, especially the swapping feature. The business is about 2-3 months old now.

I have thought about the banner advertisements, exchange, but I wouldn't know where to look for some serious businesses, and they would tend not to be interested.

I am going to put some posters up in my university and leave some in the halls of residence.

Regards

annepink
17-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you are doing some good work! May I ask the reason for students being your main target audience group??

annepink
17-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Also you might try handing out leaflets in shopping centres (You may need permission)

swoppershop
17-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi anne,

The reason I have chosen students to be the main target audience at first, is because, I myself as a student, find it easier to understand their needs, the financial difficulties of students etc, that is why I have created swopper shop, as users can swap items rather than having to pay large sums of money. I also find it a lot easier, as I have been requested to give my pitch at a few events, I have now also joined the westfocus team.

I was thinking of leaving some leaflets in places where students often visit, such as fast food joints, areas where people tend to be bored/have nothing to do. I will need to speak to the student unions of the universities to put the leaflets in halls of residence etc.

Shopping centres would be a good idea, although I feel that many of them will be thrown away, as most people take the leaflet and just bin it. For example with the business leaflets, I just went to tooting, and I asked if they would be interested in selling online, I gave them the products and they seemed to take interest, it was also a nice feeling when I walked back and saw the leaflets still with them.

annepink
18-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Is this a money making venture? if so is the money generated from ads on your site?

swoppershop
18-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Well right now it is on promotion, I guess you could say "ads" but rather listings.
http://www.swoppershop.com/sitefees.php

annepink
18-01-2006, 10:02 AM
The reason Im asking is that students arent renowned for having money Are the items to sell or swap placed for free?
I worked for many years in Classifed Ad Department in newspapers and know that many people are happy to 'sell' unwanted items and obviously in placing their own ad they then tend to 'read' the other ad buisness and private. You need to raise the profile to 'potential buyers' so that your users get response and advertise again etc (forgive me if this is obvious advice which you were already aware of)

swoppershop
18-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Well it is currently on promotion so it is free, so if I put my advertisement in a newspaper, the readers can see the site? that would be a good idea, as the service is free atm i'm hoping the students will use the service, especially for swapping, this will get the traffic up, I will go to as many Student Unions as possible to distribute the leaflets, and business events, especially seminars held by the different universities.