Delivery of PR
PR is typically practiced in two ways: by a dedicated PR consultancy and / or by an in-house department.
A PR Consultancy's whole business is PR. They have many clients and work is handled in teams. The type of PR handled by the consultancy depends on its orientation, for example a financial agency or consumer agency.
In comparison, in-house public relations departments solely represent that company to the media. The name and location of these departments depend on the company, for example, some companies' PR is located in the marketing department. Others have separate departments going under the name of Corporate Communications or Public Affairs.
Depending on the nature of the business in question, PR can also be specialised to enhance its delivery to specific audiences. Typical specialities in PR include:
- Consumer (Fashion, Health Care, Product);
- Corporate (business of that company, corporate sponsorship and community relations);
- Business to Business (excluding individual consumers);
- Public Affairs (Government Relations, eg Lobbying);
- Crisis and Issues Management (for companies, brands and organisations); and
- Financial/Investor Relations (targeting financial markets and investor and influencer groups).