£1,000 Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Awards (July 2014)
Closing Date: 31st Jul 2014
We currently have up to 4 x £1,000 Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Awards to give away each month to new businesses in the UK (in their first 12 months of trading).
- Do you live in the UK (are you a UK resident)?
- Will you, and all business partners, be between the ages of 16-30 (inclusive) on the last day of the month you are applying for funding?
- Have you been trading for less than 12 months, or, are you a pre-start that is 3 months (maximum) away from starting to trade? Our definition of trading is classed as the date you first receive payment for goods or services. (Please note, the business idea must be your own. As such, franchises or subsidiaries of other companies are not eligible.)
If you answered ‘yes’ to the above questions, then you are eligible for a Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Award. However, please do the following before you apply as it will help you write a successful entry:
- Download and read through the Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Awards Scoring Criteria.
- Download and read the Shell LiveWIRE Awards Process.
- Read the text below on what the award can be used for, as well as the full Terms and Conditions.
The Judging Process
- Each month, we award (up to) 4 prizes of £1,000 to young entrepreneurs with the most innovative business ideas. This could be an innovative product, an innovative business process, or an innovative project (e.g. an innovative marketing campaign.
- The £1,000 award funding is intended to help you take your business idea to the next level. To that end, there are certain items that you may not use the funding to purchase. These are (but not limited to): a new laptop/PC or new equipment/capital items (unless for a specific purpose directly related to the business), your rent, wages/staff costs and stock.
- At the end of each month, 10 shortlisted entrants are asked to submit an 'elevator pitch video' (max 1 min long) to go up for a public online vote. You can use a webcam, phone, video camera, camera, etc to film your video and previous examples can be seen in our Video Lounge. In normal circumstances videos must be submitted by the end of the second week of the month and failure to meet the deadline will lead to disqualification.
- Whilst the online voting takes place, a panel of independent judges score the shortlisted entries based on the information supplied in the original online application forms.
- The judges' scores are combined with the online vote.
- The businesses are then ranked on score with the top four automatically winning the funding in normal circumstances. This may be subject to pro rata if 10 businesses are not shortlisted.
- Prizes are awarded approximately one month after candidates are named in the shortlist (i.e. those who apply for December awards will be notified that they are on the shortilst the first week of January, and the winners will be announced four weeks later)
- Once the awards have been announced, all videos are then moved into our Video Lounge. Winners' videos may also be uploaded to our YouTube channel.
All Shell LiveWIRE Grand Ideas Award winners are automatically considered for the annual Shell LiveWIRE Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award. If you win a Grand Ideas Award, you will be asked to fill out a supplementary application form (usually in October) which will be used in the judging process for the Shell LiveWIRE Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award. The 8 Grand Ideas Winners who successfully reach the final will then be asked to take part in a judging day in London in November. The person who submitted the original Grand Ideas Award application is considered the ‘lead applicant’ and is the person who will be considered for the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award, so please ensure that the appropriate person makes the initial application.
Please note that Grand Ideas Winners may not defer their consideration for the Young Entrepreneur of the Year award to the following year.